What butt cream is the best????

My ds has a diaper rash that comes and goes but if I put destin or a&d on he squeals in pain! I put powder on him at pretty much every diaper change but it doesn't help the rash when he gets one. I try using just regular vaseline and it helps but only a little. Any suggestions? I have heard of maylox mixed with something but I am not sure what that something is. ???????????

HarpersMom715

Asked by HarpersMom715 at 12:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was that way. Only thing that would work was what the dr gave us. Sometimes COLD destin worked
    Anonymous

• They all have different active ingredients, so even with the same child what works on one rash might not work the next time. If nothing is working it might be a yeast infection which needs prescription cream.
    Anonymous

• You could try beaudreauxs butt paste, oh and try wiping him down with a wash cloth with just warm water instead of wipes... they tend to make rash so much worse(even the "sensitive" ones) and let his little bottom air dry for at least a few minutes before putting on cream and diapering him.
    mom2BOYZnDad

Answer by mom2BOYZnDad at 12:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• the purple desitin...its super thick and apply it liberally.......like super thick on the diaper rash area.....change the diaper frequently so that the urine doesn't continue to affect the area and keep applying it really thick
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Baking soda in the bath works well, just sprinkle it in a tub of warm water and let him sit in it for a few minutes until the rash is gone. I have a friend who puts plain dry oatmeal in the blender and turns it into a powder, then mixes it with water and applies it. She has three kids and swears by it. Make sure his skin dries in the open air before putting any creams on it or covering it. Stop using powder- it can absorb the moisture all right, but there is nowhere for the moisture to go after the powder absorbs it, then it just sits on his skin.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• If your child is squealing in pain he may need a prescription ointment and also let your baby be diaper free as much as possible to air the area out.
    Anonymous

• Beaudreaux's Butt Paste. I swear by it--even give it with my baby shower gifts. It works within hours. Make sure the baby is getting a chance to air out as well.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 4:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I personally love Balmex. Works nicely on the diaper rashes my kids got. Although for a while I had to switch to A&D ointment for my son because he had a rash that wasn't responding to Balmex. So right now I keep both in the house and switch if the Balmex doesn't work.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 4:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I ended up finding a sample that I got before he was born of Aveno diaper rash cream and tried that. He didn't squeal and it seems to help a little. But ultimately I think what worked was air drying him a little and everytime I changed his diaper I used a blow dryer of course on the cool setting and dried him up really well. So it is going away now.
    HarpersMom715

Answer by HarpersMom715 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 24, 2010