Picky eater now!

my son who is 12 months now used to eat great!! Now I can barely get him to eat anything that he normally likes to eat. Is this normal? And if so how long is to long with out any nutrional foods?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my daughter is the same way. she used to eat all sorts of stuff, veggies and tried different things. now she will only eat a handful of stuff and most of it not considered nutritional. she is 2 and just had her check up. she has been eating like this for awhile now. my doctor eased my mind a little by telling me it is typical and as long as she is drinking milk and taking in some good foods such as fruit, she is isn't worried since she is growing and thriving well. Not sure when the picky food phase is going to pass, but i make sure that i offer her things that i am eating that she normally won't try off of my plate. sometimes they just want what you are eating too, regardless if you put the same thing on their plate, coming from yours is better.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 12:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that she/he is drinking water, so she/he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she/ge will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce

Answer by rkoloms at 1:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• very normal yes. You'll have to go through a bunch of things to get to what he likes. They'll keep going through phases like this. My 5 year old went through that many times. He'll eat a lot of everything, then only chicken and potatoes, then chicken and macaroni, then only spaghetti-o's...and so on. Their pallat is changing so just keep going through things he likes to eat and have plenty of it....have healthy snacks on hand too. My doctor always told me as long as he was eating healthy food and enough of it then no need to worry because as long as you keep introducing new food they'll eventually get on a good track.

LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 1:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2010