how much milk should a toddler drink?

DS is 14 months old and eats very well...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• None. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 1:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I agree with rkoloms completely. Giving your child a diet rich in healthy fats and protein is all that is needed. Eating spinach, salmon and egg whites is far superior to cow's milk any day.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 1:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I will give my daughter a sippy cup of whole milk after a meal... It teaches her use the cup and its better then sugary juice or water that has no nutrients ..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• ARE YOU INSANE!!!! maybe I misread what you said? COWS MILK IS BETTER THAN WATER? What planet did you come from???? after age 2 (on HUMAN MILK!!!) kids don't nutritionally NEED milk... our bodies are made up of over 80% water, and you say that we don't NEED it? Oh, I FEAR for your child!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• so none of you think a 14 months old need any milk at all? whether it's soy, or the go and grow next stage (for 9 months to 24 months formula) or cow milk?
    Anonymous

• anon, reread reply...

Milk is species specific, which is why we have breasts (contrary to the warped American societal mindset). No HUMAN should EVER drink cows milk, it is food for a baby cow, not an infantile human (or adult for that matter!!).

It is documented nutritional medical FACT that children do not NEED milk of ANY kind beyond the age of two, to grow healthfully and thrive. THAT SAID, it is frightening to hear someone say that MILK should be given INSTEAD OF WATER, that water is not good for you, what your body is made almost exclusively of, is NOT GOOD FOR YOU... OMG! seriously scared for the kids...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• but my question is for a kid YOUNGER than 2....and i meant not nec cow milk, but formula or breastmilk....
    Anonymous

• Ugh, sorry you're getting so much bs in the replies! 24 oz of dairy (milk, cheese, yogurt) is what a small child is supposed to have in a day - no more. So, if he's eating cheese & yogurt, then maybe 16 oz of milk a day. I usually made sure mine had 2-3 sippies of it a day, 8 oz per sippy or less. Any more than that and they can have constipation issues and will be less likely to eat solids because milk is kind of filling.
    Anonymous

• Man....ObbyDobbie u sound so angry...my 18 mt old gets about 3-4 sippy cups a day around 24 ounces and is totally HEALTHY!!
    Anonymous