No maternity coverage in Colorado... how do you pay for it??! Help :)

We would love to have another kid.. maybe not right now exactly, but in the next couple/few years. We had our first in Nebraska, and have moved to Colorado. Colorado insurance companies do not cover maternity except for complications. does anyone else have this problem? how do you pay for a kid. I plan to use a nurse midwife, but i dont want a home birth because we had complications in the last birth (and it cost over $10,000 for our son... thank god for coverage!).

missbreezy214

Asked by missbreezy214 at 1:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I would say start saving up know.
    Anonymous

• call the nearest hospital and ask what a normal birth w/out complications would cost. you will want to ask about prenatal care as well. if you are expecting problems w/ #2, i guess you should get insurance too.
    we pay 2500 for a homebirth and prenatal care.
    we had one preemie born in a hospital. the birth was without complications, but my son's care was $86,000.
    i honestly don't recall what the charge was for the birth...but it was a drop in the bucket compared to my son's care!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 2:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I'm not sure what you're talking about. I had insurance in Colorado and had prenatal coverage. I think I paid $1000 out of pocket, which included my son's stay in the NICU for 3 days.
    Anonymous