How early is regular cow milk safe for my little one?

I was just wondering how early I could give my baby regular cow milk like what I drink.

Maybe watered down with water?

Momrini

Asked by Momrini at 1:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• 1yr and no you don't need to water it down with water and whole milk is what is recommended. Unless your Dr says different.
    Anonymous

• You should not give your baby whole milk until at least 12 months of age. A baby's digestive system can't digest cow's milk proteins. Cow's milk also has too much sodium, potassium, and chloride, which can tax your baby's kidneys.

Even if your baby's system could handle it, cow's milk doesn't have all the vitamins and minerals (especially vitamin E, zinc, and iron) that s/he needs for growth and development during the first year. Giving a baby cow's milk could even cause iron deficiency and internal bleeding. And it can increase his risk of an allergic reaction.

Hope that helps!
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 1:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Give him water

Answer by rkoloms at 1:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You are not suppose to give your child milk under the age of 1. 

Anonymous

• You should look into starting with goat's milk if you want to start prior to one. It is easier to digest and more like human milk than cow milk. I start my children around 9-10mo on goat's milk products, but they do not replace breastmilk/formula, they are added into the diet in the form of cheese, yogurt and in place of juice.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 1:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i agree w/ rkoloms!!!!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You can start whole milk at 1 ... but only breast milk or formula before then... And I wouldn't give any watered down milk.. there is no reason for that and it would taste horrible... and your baby will need whole milk not the stuff you drink... they want the younger kids to have all the extra fat and vitamins from whole milk that 2 percent or less doesn't have...
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Do NOT water milk down for a child. Wait til a year.
    Anonymous