Do you think that a person voted into office as a member of ONE party should be allowed to switch party affiliations midway through a term?

We had a Dem go Repub and a Repub go Dem (hahaha THAT could be a funny LOL...anyway) in the past year or so. Do you think this is right? I dont think its a crime to change affiliations but I DO thinks its crappy to do it half way through just because you think its politically expedient. It makes me look at the candidate (either way they swing) as being wishy washy and a fair weather candidate not one to stand up for what they campaign for. What about you......Do you think it should be allowed AND Either way doe it change the way you look at a candidate?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 1:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Not sure if it should be allowed or not so I cant really answer that BUT I agree with you on all else.Yes if without one doubt changes the way I look at a candidate..like Specter imo these types are of the worst kind..their political affliation changes whichever way the wind blows ..if they feel it will be in their OWN best interest they suddenly change parties and take up the other sides ideals..I mean who REALLY knows where they truely stand? I much prefer a candidate who stands on a solid foundation and will not step away from it esp just to keep themselves in power...of course those types are slim pickins
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I vote based on a candidate's positions, not party affiliation. So I would not have an issue with this

Answer by rkoloms at 1:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I think it's crappy to do that too. It shows that they are only after getting reelected (Specter, Parker Griffin). It shows they are only after themselves and their seat. Not the people who voted for them.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yes, the people voted for the person not the party.
    Anonymous

• anon and some of these persons are not only changing that letter after their names but suddenly over night their ideals in alot of ways..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I think it depends on the reason for the switch. Say someone campaigns on fighting special interests and corporate lobbies on the Dem ticket. A year after they are elected, their party engineers a massive multi-billion dollar payout to the unions by giving the a 40% tax break on insurance that only applies to union members. Out of frustration, the representative changes parties. That's reasonable.

On the other hand, say someone campaigns on the pro-same sex marriage stance on the Dem ticket, and with the help of very deep Dem party pockets gets elected, but then 6 months after election they swap parties and co-sponsor a DOMA-type bill. That's someone who deserves to not be re-elected by any party, and possibly investigated for improper use of funds for accepting the Dem money.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You're right NP it does depend on the reasoning
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 1:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I look at the ones who change it because they know they will lose in a primary. Joe Lieberman, though he did not switch mid-term, did switch because Ned Lamont beat him. Arlen Specter switched because he would likely lose to a Democrat. If their ideals change, then great. If they are doing what the above mentioned did, then that's where it becomes an issue.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• NP explained it the best way. It all comes down to the WHY of it all. If it is because the PARTY changed directions, then I would not be as critical of a candidate for switching. But if a candidate switches to further their OWN agenda, that is when my warning signal goes off.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I think if we got rid of the party distinctions altogether and let people run on their own agendas, there'd be more honesty and accountability. I'm always suspicious of those who do the party switch.
    mama_k228

Answer by mama_k228 at 4:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2010