Anyone have more than one indoor rabbit?

My husband keeps talking about getting the kids the fishtank they want for Vday, but I'm not sold on the idea. We already have the cutest, sweetest little bunny, and I'm thinking it might be easier on my pregnant self just to get him a friend. (Plus, then I could design and build a good cage which would have its own benefits.)

We had a couple male rabbits when I was a kid, but they lived in an outdoor hutch, so if they ever got into spraying issues, it didn't really matter. But obviously, I don't want that in my house. I'd be fine with designing a cage with a divider and getting a female. (Honestly, in a year or two doing a little would be cool.)

I don't have a very clear question other than I'd like feedback from people who have had more than one indoor rabbit- what worked? What didn't? What about gender?

Thanks!

IrishMommaC

Asked by IrishMommaC at 1:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Pets

• We live on a farm and just gave away three rabbits to a guy my dh knows at work. He breeds them for sale as pets. They were a lot of work. I don't know but a small fish tank is much less work especially if it has a good filter/pump system. I think that would be far less trouble than an additional bunny. GL
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 1:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• We had a male rabbit, thought we had another male but the enevitable happened they had 3 babies 1 died a few hours after birth, probably because we and the mum wasnt prepared as we still till then thought we had males, pet shop man told us it was male,other two babies were female, the mum rabbit was a bit mean to the babies chasing them and pulling their fur out, sadly the babies last year at not quite 3 died of myxamatosis as they had access to the garden and the dad weeks before buried his way out the garden and never came back, we now keep the mum indoors in a big cage, but goes in the outside hutch in the day, she seems ok without any company just some cuddly toys and chew toys i must admit the trauma of it all wont allow me to have rabbits again, and its very expensive for the myxamatosis jabs which after everything you really must have.
    Anonymous

• Rabbits are hard work. I had quite a few. With more than one, they stink quicker and you have to clean the cage every two days or else you will be inhaling ammonia. That doesn't seem very easy to deal with during pregnancy. You aren't supposed to have guinea pigs or rabbits while pregnant any way. My doc wanted me to find a home for mine, Instead, my husband cleaned the cages for me. He was not happy. And fish tanks can be just as big of a pain in the butt. I used to have three fishtanks. They get dirty fast, filter or not and you have to change the water and clean the tank once every three weeks.. the water reeks like poo. I would just stick with the one rabbit if I were you. Adding another rabbit may not work out. One of our rabbits was alone, we got him a friend and he humped the poor guy constantly! They ended up separated.lol
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• What about a guinea pig instead? We have a bunny and a guinea pig that lived seperately for a while and when one of my guinea pigs died I decided to try and see if my other guinea pig would like to live with my bunny and it worked! They are like two peas in a pod, they love eachother. I know some people don't recommend housing the two animals together but it has worked for me. Guinea pigs are still work but less then a bunny. Good luck!

Just make sure you have a big enough cage and plenty of room for them. I have seperate areas too for each one since they both eat different foods sometimes.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 10:31 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Never had an indoor rabbit. It's sooo much easier to keep them outdoors. If you can't do that, then I'd definitely find a way to keep them divided. They reproduce way too much. Just keep them in separate cages.
    febmom007

Answer by febmom007 at 6:42 PM on Jan. 24, 2010