Why do some parents send their child off to school sick??

I see these little kids being sent to school with runny noses, coughing, I know that some parents give their kids Tylenol and send them off to school. This is not fair for the sick child who needs to be home and rested. It is so unfair to the healthy kids. I understand childcare is expensive, and people have to work but when your child is sick keep them home!!

mommiedear

Asked by mommiedear at 1:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Op I agree. It is inconsiderate to your child, the teacher and other students.

About the cough comment, here if they are coughing excessively, they WILL and HAVE sent them home.

I allow my kids to stay home even if they don't feel well. They are pretty healthy kids so when they aren't eating and don't feel good, I let them stay home. I wouldn't want to be sent to school not feeling good. Fever or not.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Your child will have 6-8 colds per year on average. More in a daycare or school setting. Requirements for keeping your child home include: fever exceeding 101.3, diarrhea, vomiting, inability to participate, contagious/communicable diseases. A child with a runny nose or cough does not need to sit at home and rest. Your child would miss out on a large portion of schooling (and life) if they avoided the outdoors with those symptoms.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 1:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I'm a stay at home mom so childcare isn't an issue. However, we live in Michigan and if I kept my kid home for every runny nose, they would miss the entire winter of school. \I'm cautious about when I send them and when they stay home. When in doubt they stay home. My kids have excellent hand washing and have been taught courteous coughing (ie into the crook of their arms, etc). You can't keep them home for every little thing. Anything with a fever, they stay home, obviously.

Although we've had people send their kids to school with chicken pox. lol. That was irritating. My oldest got a mild case of it since she'd been vaccinated, and the other two didn't get it at all even though my youngest hadn't been vaccinated yet since he was too you and I didn't get it even though I've never been vaxed nor had them. That pissed me off, though.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 1:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I use to go to school sick fever everything. I chose to tho. If I staied home I would be beat and made to scrub the house top to bottom. IMO it was always better to be sick and sit in the nurses office all day instead of being home with my mother
    Anonymous

• I agree I am not going to keep my kid home from school simply because he has sniffles and a cough. I'm sure you take your child to the park. And i'm sure you don't wipe down every piece of equipment your child uses with clorox wipes before your kid goes up or down it do you? Germs are everywhere, and kids are going to get sick. It's good they get sick as it builds up there immunity. to get upset because someone sends their sniffly nosed coughing kid to school is, in my opinion, a little harsh.

If you don't like the fact that most parents send their kids to school with sniffles and coughs, maybe instead of telling us we should keep our kids home, maybe you should keep YOUR kid home inside a giant bubble for them to play and learn in a germ free environment.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I know their are some very irresponsible parents out there.  I am so thankful that our school district sends kids when they have green snot running down a child's face home.  I just kept my son home from school because he had a runny nose and a cough for two days.  When my children are sick I honestly keep them home.  A slight sniffle yeah I will send my child to school.Some parents just don't get what's best for their child.

Anonymous

• Sometimes you cant do right from wrong, the school rings to find out where they are? or if you send them they ring you up to come and get them
    Anonymous

• I don't get it either, and I think it's really rude and selfish of the parents. I understand that some parents have to work, but when you have children, these are things you have to deal with. If parents would keep their sick children home, it would prevent outbreaks of certain illnesses in schools. I also don't think it's fair to the sick child, or his classmates...or his teacher, for that matter. Sometimes I think it's laziness on the parents' part also, because they don't want to have a sick child at home with them.
    Anonymous

• If a child has green snot it could mean infection, or it could not. Everytime I have brought my kid in with "green snot" it has turned into nothing...just another virus that kids have. It takes 10 days of green snot to before a doctor will diagnois a sinus infection. Do you want me to keep my kid home for 10 days? I would never send my kid in if he had a fever or throwing up, but sniffles and cough? Yep. I have a job to keep and it took 6 months to find that job, if I miss one day of work I lose my job. Like almost everyone has said, children get a lot of viruses a year whether they get it from school or from the grocery store kart. Do you miss work if you have the sniffles? Do you miss work if you have a fever? 9 out of 10 people don't....My kid could get just as sick from me getting it from someone at the office.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 2:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Because for working parents without benefits, the risk of losing a job is greater than the risk of a child getting a secondary infections.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2010