Did your SO ask "permission" or get your dad's blessing ?

My husband didn't I wish he would have but it's not that big of a deal . I think my dad would have liked him to have come to him.

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 1:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My husband wanted to but my dad is such an abusive worthless POS! He asked my brother instead.
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 1:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yup. He even proposed to me in front of all 4 of our parents.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 1:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yep, my dad had never met him before and we took him lunch at work. DH sent me away and asked my dad. It was very sweet.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 2:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Why? Does your father "own" you? Are you incapable of deciding for yourself if you should marry this man or not? Is your father going to "give you to your husband" at the ceremony, too? Is your husband then going to be your owner?
    Anonymous

• Ignore the Anon, it's an old custom that can be very romantic.
    My DH has never met any of my family except for my son in person, so no, he didn't ask.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 2:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• daisy I agree it is romantic also it shows a certain level of respect.
    Some people are raised with old fashion respect.
    southerncharm86

Answer by southerncharm86 at 2:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My Dh did. He didn't do it for me or for him, he did it because he knew my dad would eat it up. It was sweet.... and funny considering I had already been married once and was over 30 years old and had lived on my own for a decade at that point =) I thought it was a very nice gesture...and can't believe my mother was able to keep the secret for a few days until Dh popped the question =)
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It's called TRADITION Anon !!
    YES my dad did give me away thank you !! No he nor my hubby is my "owner" ! SOME people like traditions also like others replied it is a level of respect .
    Sorry if you are jealous but you don't have to be rude .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 2:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Dh asked my mom in person. Once he proposed to me he went to ask my dad. The reason being at the time I was much closer to my mom than my dad.
    Anonymous

• MY hubby took my dad to lunch to ask him. He told me after he proposed that he had asked him. Very sweet and that's how we do things in the south! ;) My aunt got married at almost 50 and her husband asked my grandfather although she was twice divorced with 4 children! I think it is a wonderful gesture!
    Sonylena

Answer by Sonylena at 2:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2010