I need you ladies to kind of settle a dispute between my and my husband...

We need to pay car insurance by Feb 1st or it's canceled. In order to pay it we would only have money left for things we need (gas, groceries, lunch money). We wouldn't have any extra for stuff we just want. We will have money Feb. 2nd so it would only be a week. I think this is what we should do; however, my husband wants to file our taxes Mon. and pay to get them the next day. Last year it was going to cost us around $300 to do this (we got $6000 back). So we didn't do it and we waited over two weeks. I don't want to pay however much money to get them back the next day when we can just wait. He thinks it's stupid to wait. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• I think it is dumb to not pay a bill just because you wont have blow money.
    Tell your husband he needs to get his priorities straight.
    I agree with you, you should pay it.
    I mean what IF you dont get alot back or even any back?
    Anonymous

• Your husband wants to blow $300 so he can have extra spending money for ONE WEEK? I think you are the more sensible person and your husband is being very careless with money. You should take that $300 you would pay for a Refund Anticipation Loan and start a savings account for your family. Try using mint.com to reign in spending until you get a buffer in case of emergencies.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 1:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• $300 is a lot of money to get it early. I would wait.
    Anonymous

• Im with you, as long as theres money available for food and lunch money and important things anything else should wait
    Anonymous

• I agree with you and I think your hubby needs to grow the hell up so what he will not have blow money for a week. Wow he needs to grow up and get his life stuff in order cause he is a family man now he needs to learn not to think of only himself.
    Anonymous

• Pay your bills on time. You are right about the taxes. Wait 2 weeks so you will not have to p[ay the $300. That's what we are going to do. I asked my DH. Do wee really need the money that fast. No we do not I told him.

Answer by louise2 at 1:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Your husband sounds like my husband. This is why I have taken over the bills. and I do our taxes. Remind him of all that he could do with the extra $300 he is waisting by getting taxes back early.
    MOTHERBEAR6

Answer by MOTHERBEAR6 at 2:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• pay your bills and dont get your insurance cancelled..that reflects on your credit believe it or not
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 2:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• If it is due the 1st or it will be cancelled why does he want to wait till the 2nd?
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Your husband is wrong. Paying $300 to get a quick refund is crazy. You can survive for a few days without "blow" money.
    Anonymous