how much should i pay the nanny for 3 1/2 days of taking care of my DD while my fiancee and i take a trip alone?

We decided were not bringing our DD to vegas because its not exactly the most kid friendly place for a 2 year old. What would you pay the nanny for that anount of time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• A minimum of $125 per day. The exact figure varies by: What your current rates are, what the going rates are in your area, the age of your child, etc.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 1:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Pet sitting pays $50 a night just to feed a pet and let them out so it should be more than you'd pay a pet sitter. I hope you know her well. I'd hate for you to win big in Vegas and come home to find out she stole your baby.
    Anonymous

• I live in Vegas!!! :D Need any info let me know i'll give you some links and stuff to good attractions. Also check out Las vegas movie insider, they have some free tix to shows and events not sure if it's just for locals only but check it out.

I would say depending on the age of your daughter diapers? bottles? teething? etc I would take into consideration how "self-sufficient" your daughter is. School aged, less maintenance, your nanny would have to do less work and not as much supervision.

125 for the weekend? 150-160 maybe if she's a baby still.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 1:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Ask her what her rate is for this service. If she comes up with a figure lower than what you intended to pay her, then split the difference and pay her half way in between. If she asks for more than you expected, then pay her what she asks. I don't think this is a service you can lowball.
    Anonymous

• iOP here- I do know her very well and she has been my DD nanny since she was 7 mths so I know she knows what she's doing. we are letting her stay in our home, will have groceries already and baby's stuff completely stocked. Our DD s super easy and predictable. We were thinking of giving her $300 for the r.d days. Is that bad?
    Anonymous

• I would offer her $300, but make it clear to her that you weren't sure what to pay her. Let her know that if she thinks that's unfair to please let you know what she had in mind. 

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 2:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• That's something I would not do. Lots of us do not have live in nanny's either. I would come out and ask her what her weekend rate is before I set a number. You don't haggle with your pediatrician do you? Do not haggle with your nanny. Do the right thing and ask her first, so you will know to get the number right. If she says below 300 then I think you should pay her at least 300, if she says more then you pay her what her rate is.
    Anonymous

• I was going to say 350.00. 100.00 a day and 50.00 for the half day. I live in Long Island, NY though and child care is expensive.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• OP here- I asked her and she said she would rather me give her an amount. She doesn't want to give one. So I have no choice but to figure it out. I already told her that if she doesn't think what I offer her is appropriate ahe should tell me. I need to make sure she doesn't feel unapprediated.
    Anonymous

• Offer her an amount and then see what her reaction is. Start middle ground like 300 for the weekend and see what she says. If she cringes at that offer let her know you asked her what she wanted you to pay her, so what was she expecting you to say? You gave her a figure right? You aren't a mind reader. LOLLL

I've never known a nanny who doesn't have rates up front. Is this a friend of the family or someone you know in the neighborhood? Maybe she feels like she doesn't want to charge you too much.Or maybe give her a median range...say something like "we can afford between 250 and 350 is that within your range to watch our daughter?" What do you feel most comfortable accepting?

Hmmm...I know you said she wants you to tell her an amount, but unless it's family or a well known neighbor this is kind of a pickle your in here LOL Good luck.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2010