I had my babies early (7 months- triplets) and now I'm having a problem getting my breast to lactate. Does anyone know anyway to get breat milk flowing besides stimulating, hot shower, and pumping every 2-3 hours.

deirdrerenee

Asked by deirdrerenee at 2:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Supplemental breastfeeding system (SNS). This is effective for establishing or re-establishing supply. You can also try feungreek or mother's milk tea. There are also prescription hormones, speak with your OBGYN.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 2:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I can't answer your question. But I wanted to say good luck with everything. My twins were born on time but I had been so sick with them, that BF just didnt work out at all. I had BF my other two children and I hated not being able to with the twins. Keeping fingers crossed for you
    MOTHERBEAR6

Answer by MOTHERBEAR6 at 2:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• there are herbal remedies you can take to help bump up your supply - Milk thistle I think was one. there's also a breastfeeding tea - just check a health food store.

or there is a prescription med you can take - motilium
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Get enough fluid. There are many herbal "mother's milk" teas on the market. Always brew them with a cover to keep the herbs in the tea-- they will release with the steam sometimes.

Breasts operate on supply and demand. Frequent pumping and frequent nursing are the best option.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• How old are they? My milk didn't really come in for over a week. You may just need to be patient.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 2:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Breast feed as much as possible... with three babies i'm sure your already doing that so good job momma! The mothers milk tea helped me out a lot.. and it doesn't taste to bad when you get used to it... also there is a prescription i took to help my milk flow because i had it in there and i could feel it ... but the baby couldn't get it to drop down.. so the drugs helped a lot... you should go to a lactation nurse right away.. with three babies you need the best advice out there and she will weight all your babies and you'll be able to see how they're doing and maybe the nurse can help in ways we can't by suggesting latches and what not... good luck momma i know it is hard work with one i can't imagine three..
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Holy crap congrats on your babies! I have twins and thought THAT was a lot of work lol....can't help with the breastfeeding...I pumped like a madwoman to get enough for my little ones after they were born early and had to spend time in the NICU.... Once they were both home I dried up and had to switch to formula. But I wish you the best of luck momma! Wow...triplets...I can't imagine 3!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Aww congrats x3! :-) Try getting them to latch on as much as possible. A good friend of mine is training to be a lactation consultant, and she said that sometimes even if you can't squeeze or pump anything out, the baby can still get some out. The feneugreek (sp?) and Mother's Milk tea are other good suggestions. Make sure you stay hydrated. Best of luck to you mama!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Hot showers don't stimulate milk production. It can stimulate the ejaculation reflex and make milk come out and relieve pressure if the breasts are overfull.

You need to use a rental pump for premature babies. Don't expect to get much milk at first. If they are taking your milk they aren't getting much a feeding because their tummies are so small. If you can get an ounce from each breast that is a lot. Before pumping using massage can help with letdown and the amount you pump. For instructions go to google and type in Marmet technique.

www.kellymom.com is a great breastfeeding website
    www.lalecheleague.org has lots of good info and stories of moms breastfeeding triplets
    www.mothering.com has good breastfeeding discussion boards

If massage doesn't help then call a LLL Leader or lactation consultant for individual help. I don't recommend using teas or herbs they may not be safe or effective.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Check out this video on maximizing milk production with a preemie Maximizing Milk Production

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2010