Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grand-parental rights?

does anyone know anthing about them?
My DD father and long time BF passed away when i was 8 weeks along
His mother is crazy and he didnt have a relationship with her for over 4 years, during the whole funeral process she was nothing but rude to me. ( She called and left me messages saying i shouldnt be sleeping and im not helping at all. That im an inconcierate helpless victim and I need to get over it. )
I have had no contact with her since christmas before DD was born (since messages were still happening) i decided im not going to have her in either of our lives we dont need that. DD is now 20 months and DD uncle called to tell me that she is going to get grandparental rights. BF was not on birth certificate, does she have any rights?

Answer Question

Asked by LizaJayne at 2:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Relationships

Level 5 (64 Credits)
Answers (28)
  • No, she has no rights.

    Answer by IamPatSajak at 2:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • Just remember this
    She cant do a thing to you. As long as you are a good mother and your child is wel taken care of she can piss and maon til she is blue in the face and nothing will come of it.
    I would look in to maybe a restraining order against her so she will leave you and your child alone.

    Answer by southerncharm86 at 2:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • GRANDPARENTS DO TO HAVE RIGHTS. Atleast where I live they do.

    Answer by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • Grandparents do have rights. In fact in various situations they have stepped in and asserted those rights. I'm not sure what they are in your state, but I would look into it. If the children are removed from a home, the granparents do have the right to take the child as long as they meet the requirements. I don't think they can take the child from mom, but they also can go to court for visitation, but it would be ALOT of work.

    Answer by Steff107 at 2:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • Oh forgot, they can petition the court for cudstody if they want to try and prove you are an unfit parent. I'm not saying you are, but I have seen cases. And it doesn't mean they win.

    Answer by Steff107 at 2:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • I should add since there is confusion- there is no established paternity in this case. You were not married, there was no AOP signed, there was no DNA test. She cannot lay claim to a child that has no legal ties to her son.

    Answer by IamPatSajak at 2:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • yes..a grandparent can get rights, visitation, every kind of right that her father could have had

    Answer by shay1130 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • Actually she may have a case for grandparent's rights. Check your state laws regarding them. Some states recognize her rights bc her son is dead and without her invoking her rights you might not otherwise allow her to spend time with the child. If her son was alive it would be different.

    Answer by admckenzie at 2:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • i guess pat is right though...they would probably have to do some kind of dna test.

    Answer by shay1130 at 2:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • i think if the father has any brothers or sisters they can check their dna and see if they baby has a close match..they would be able to tell if they were a blood relative

    Answer by shay1130 at 2:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.