What are your thoughts on tile countertops in kitchens?

We are moving and my husband has it in his mind that we will install tile countertops in the kitchen. He is very certain about this and has not really asked me my opinion - I overheard him telling someone else this plan. I haven't said anything yet, because I expect he will think I am just being pessimistic, but
I think I will HATE it. I think it will be hard to keep them clean and I'm afraid the grout will get stained and icky. I don't think it will hold up as well as solid countertops, and I don't think it is as sanitary.

Before I tell him I don't think it's a good idea I thought I'd see if I am the only one who feels this way. So, what do you think about tile kitchen counters?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I passed on a house we looked at because of tile countertops. I hate them with ever fiber of my being. Even granite tiles make my skin crawl and porcelain with grout lines is just the absolute worst. A solid surface is essential for cooking and sanitizing. There are many inexpensive options.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 2:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I personally don't like it.......communicate this with your husband.......tell him you're not partial to tile and perhaps maybe there could be a medium you guys agree on.....tell him your open to ideas but not really into the tile.....
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 2:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I agree with you. I think that not only is a solid surface better looking, but it is MUCH easier to keep sanitary. Your hubby may not be taking the cleanliness into consideration, so explain to him how you feel about it. You aren't a pessimist if you have valid reasons to support your opinion, and I think you totally do. Try to compromise with him by letting him pick out a tile backsplash. Good luck.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I would hate tile in the kitchen, i dont think it would be easy to clean or sanitary. I have it in my bathroom and i dont like it but its not to bad in the bathroom
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 2:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• He obviously doesn't cook.

The grout will stain. It will degrade quickly bc of temperature changes that are common in kitchens. Tiles may crack and grout crumbs will come up. No matter how well you seal it. The surface is never flat. Your cutting boards won't rest right. You risk cutting yourself bc of the unstable surface.

It's going to be expensive. Way more expensive than a useful countertop. This is a horrid idea.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 2:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I had tile counter tops in our first house. We actually choose them. The grout was a dark beige and the tiles were large(same size as on the floor) I liked them and they were attractive and easy for me to clean. My grandparents on the other hand bought a large house w/small white tile countertops w/lighter grout and it was pretty awful over the long haul. A real PIA tp keep looking clean and I would not do it that way. I would start chatting up beautiful stone counter tops. We have an old home now and are someday going to remodel our kitchen~granite is what we both want. GL
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 2:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yeah, the grout or calking or whatever in between gets gross...get granite countertops, they're beautiful and easy to keep clean~! :)
    Anonymous

• I lived in two homes with tile in the kitchen, and it breaks really easy. Then good luck finding the matchin tile four years down the road to fix it, and it was always the edge tiles and corner tiles, the worst ones.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Thankyou all. I didn't want to bring it up if I was in the wrong on this. I'm pretty sure it's going to hurt his feelings because he thinks it is such a wonderful idea.
    Anonymous