Could spicy food be the reason my first son had meconium?

The night before my water broke I went out with a friend, got the spiciest food they had, & put wasabi on it. It was just for fun & I didn't really think anything would come from it. The next morning I got up to go pee & my water gushed out & was a greenish/brown tint. I thought, "WOW! I'm a week early with my first baby & my plug must have fallen out with my water!"

I headed to the hospital with slight contractions. I loved the feeling of the contractions because they reminded me that my son was guna be here soon & they weren't too bad yet. The dr told me that the green color was actually meconium & that it was really bad for the baby. I stayed at 1cm for 4hrs without any help (no pitocin & wasn't allowed to walk). Then I had a c-section.

I'm trying for another baby now that my son's a toddler. I'm worried that this time I won't dilate either or baby #2 will poop like he did. What can I do to avoid this?

ours

Asked by ours at 2:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Absolutely not. The only thing found to actually increase the probability of meconium is labor induction.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 2:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• OP: Ugh really? I was hoping that could have been the reason so I could just avoid it this next time around. D: I didn't do anything to induce myself, I did walk a lot but that was just to keep healthy.

I don't know what to do then. Is it normal to stay at 1cm dilated for 4hrs when you weren't allowed to walk or anything? I'm scared that I won't dilate again & I really don't want another c-section.
    ours

Answer by ours at 2:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• No, it isn't. There isn't any way you can control it. It probably won't happen this time anyway. It usually happens when baby has been living in the uterus too long, but it's not always the case. Every pregnancy was differen for me, I have four kids.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Uh beg to differ, induction does not increase meconium risk. They actually induce sometimes to avoid meconium.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 2:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• OP: Could the reason be that he was wrapped around the cord? His heartrate was fine, but he was wrapped around the cord a few times. If so, is there anything that I can do to prevent the baby wrapping around the cord again?

I've always only wanted 2 kids so I'm seeing this as my last chance to get to have a natural birth. The whole c-section experience was awful.
    ours

Answer by ours at 2:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• No, your baby had probably pooped before then. There is nothing you can do, sometimes it just happens. It happens more often when you are late but can happen at any time.

http://pregnancy.about.com/od/laborcomplications/a/meconium.htm
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It wasn't the spicy food.

What can you do to avoid a c-section? Have a home birth with a midwife. If that's not possible take a series of childbirth classes and hire a doula to be with you for the birth. Having a doula with you decreases the chance of having a c-section.

The Lamaze and CIMS websites have good info.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 2:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• OP: Well I guess I'll just have to see this time then. Thanks guys, one more question about dilating...

I'm nervous that my body will take too long to dilate. It just seems weird to me that my water would break but I would stay at a 1cm for 4hrs without ANY progress. Doctors usually break your water to help move things along, & my water breaking naturally didn't seem to do anything but reveal my baby had pooped. I REALLY don't like the idea of having to use pitocin, I'd rather let my body do its thing, but what if my body takes too long?
    ours

Answer by ours at 2:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• No hun, it's actually very common for your water to break and not contract or dialate for a while. Some women didn't realize their water broke. It's probably a good thing your water broke because 1)baby would have stayed in longer with that meconium 2) the dirty water was exiting your body. I really think that when meconium is passed that the body may trigger the water to break. Nothing to back it up, just a thought.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• There isnt really any connection between subsequent births containing meconium so I REALLY wouldnt worry about that! As for the spicey foods, I have never heard of that causing a BM by the baby. The only things that I have heard can up the risk of meconium is taking castor oil (it can cross the placenta and cause the baby to poop as well) and stress to the baby during labor. It could possibly have been because your son's cord was wrapped around his neck but you really will never know.

Breaking the water wont help induce a labor if your cervix isnt favorable, so at 1 cm it probably wasnt. Your body wasnt ready for labor at that point so there was nothing you really could have done (most likely not even pitocin) to cause the contractions to come on strong enough to dialate you more. I personally would have tried pit if there wasnt meconium but with the meconium, I would have done the section as well to avoid risk
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 3:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2010