How to get 2 year old to take their medicine???

Ok my daughter has an ear infection and got prescribed an antibiotic. She has no problems taking ibuprofan or tylenol but she absolutely refuses to take this medicine. It is bubblegum flavored (it came that way). I have tried putting it in juice and milk, iv tried putting it in food, iv tried holding her down and pinching her nose (that broke my heart..... ) and she still spit it out EVERY SINGLE TIME... idk what to try anymore. I dont like seeing my baby girl sick it makes my chest hurt..... HELP

clarasmommy08

Asked by clarasmommy08 at 2:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Here's the thing: She must take it and spitting it out is not ok. If your child was refusing to sit in her carseat, would you try a hundred ways to sneak her into it or would you just put her in without discussion? This is no different. Some things require the following approach: "You can either do it yourself or I will do it for you". That means she has one chance to take the medication, without you asking or pleading or trying to convince her. Tell her "It is time to take your medication." End of story. If she refuses, you put it in her mouth and put your hand over her mouth until she swallows. Sometimes parenting requires a strong stomach.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 2:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• maybe take it back and get a different flavour?? i know my daughter likes the banana flavored one...but then again, she likes medicine..lol..

or you could try getting it in a pill form, and crush it up into some peanut butter..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• even at two they understand the basic concepts of what you are trying to tell them. When my boys have refused medicine I' simply told them that if they dont they're going back to the doctor to get shots.....LOTS OF THEM....lol......they're really scared of shots so they take their meds like good boys. It always works....
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 3:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• There are some things she has to do weather or not she likes it. I would tell her you can take this nice and get something, cuddle time works for my kids. Or I can do it for you don't get anything. Then if she still doesn't I would pry her mouth open and give it to her. Then hold her mouth closed till she swallowed it. It is not like it hurting her to take it. She is being stubborn. I bet after a few times of that she will take it nicely.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• ABOUT 1/2 THE PEDS DO NOT PERSCRIBE ANTIBIOTICS FOR EAR INFECTIONS. CALL YOUR DOC AND SEE IF HE THINKS THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, HE IS THE ONE WHO LOOKED IN HER EARS.
    I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS W/ MY SON...I HELD HIM FOR THREE DAYS.
    (IN CAPS B/C I'M HOLDING TWINS, THEY PUSHED CAPS LOCK...I AM NOT YELLING! :))
    good lucjk to you, it is the hardest when our lo's are not themselves!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My dd(2) just came off of antibotics for double ear infection and chest cold and so did my son (10 months) . What I did for both of them was draw it in a syringe, and told her mainly it will make her feel better, told her to op, squirted in and closed and held her mouth a few seconds until she swallowed.
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 12:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• open*
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 12:48 AM on Jan. 24, 2010