Lunch time troubles

my son is 17mo and loves breakfast and does OK with dinner. Lunch on the other hand is a struggle and a half. He'll whine and turn his head away, spit out his food, or keep it in his mouth and refuses to swallow it. For lunch he usually has one of the gerber toddler meals but I've had to resort to giving him the pureed veggies and such instead. He especially wants nothing to do with meat, he'll chew it up and keep it in his lip or cheeks while he eats the rest of his food. Any ideas on how to make lunch time easier on us both?

alinker

Asked by alinker at 2:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok there are a few huge red flags here. Your child is WAY too old for pureed foods or to be spoon-fed. You are doing your child no service by not allowing him to have control over eating and learning his own natural hunger cues. A child should be exclusively self fed by one year unless there is some sort of gross motor problem. I babysit a child that was spoon fed until he was over 2 and not only does he not have the ability to feed himself now, but he is overweight. You need to give your child real food. Stop buying processed, salty gerber foods and cut up real fruits, veggies and meats and put it in front of him at the table. He can eat it or not eat it, that is his decision. When he is hungry, he will eat. Your child is old enough to eat with a fork and spoon himself.
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 2:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Your son should be eating regular food. Here are some suggestions: Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Give him finger foods like carrot, breadsticks,banana.He needs to try new foods and textures by now. Ignore his protests, it's just his way of controlling what he eats.
    poetryanne

Answer by poetryanne at 3:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My youngest just didn't get interested in solids until about a year. And at 2 she has a full set of teeth and still has trouble with beef, chews it forever. I would cut out the morning snack so you know he is good and hungry. Make sure his meats are cut up teeny weeny. And give up control. Give him his food and let him go at it. If he doesn't want to eat fine then he doesn't eat again until the next snack time. This is what I do with my girls 2 and 4 and they eat well at meal times. Thisway you are not stressing over it and he eats what he wants from what you offer him. As he gets older you can add that no seconds until all the first are gone. He wont starve himself, he will eat eventually and in time he will learn you eat what you are given or don't eat. Less fuss at meal times and less pickyness.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 3:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2010