Would you let your tween volunteer?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Yes, if by "let" you mean "require".
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 3:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yes, my 12yo feeds the homeless, and it's his choice. I appreciate that he sees the humanity and it makes him greatful for his homelife.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 3:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Absolutely!!

Answer by rkoloms at 3:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yes, if by "let" you mean "require".

My 11-yr-old reads to blind children and helps feed them etc because she wants to. I wouldn't require her to.
    Anonymous

• Absolutely. The only type of person who would not, is not someone who should be raising children.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Absolutely! My DH is only 6 years old and I encourage her to volunteer now and later in life. She loves the idea.
    mama2br00ke

Answer by mama2br00ke at 3:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yes..my daughter 11 volunteer to feed the homeless on Thanksgiving...I was so proud..let them give back
    BiBi2010

Answer by BiBi2010 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• If she wants so, sure.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:04 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

• We volunteer at a local nursing home. He needs some volunteer work for his summer camp requirements. He loves to do it.
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 26, 2010

• Definitely. My oldest ran his own food drive last year. This year in school he has a semester long class called "repairing the world." Last semester the class concentrated on saving water. This semester I am guessing that the focus will be Haiti. The teacher even has a nationally recognized non-profit agency that came out of one group of kids.

Our elementary school also has a volunteer program called Helping Hands. The grades choose a local charity and help where they can according to their age abilities. The teachers also tie it into classroom learning.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 3:22 PM on Jan. 26, 2010