What was the first food you gave your baby?

Did you start with fruits or vegetables? I've read in some books that it's best to start with fruits, but I've also read that if you start with fruits, they won't want the vegetables because they like the sugar in the fruit. My son's pediatrician said that it doesn't really matter, just as long as you give it them for about a week at a time to make sure there aren't any allergies. What did your baby try first?

StefanieN84

Asked by StefanieN84 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my dd at 4 months old, and veggies were first on the list! I started off with sweet potatoes, and squash! She absolutely LOVES her veggies! I would have to say that she likes Green Beans the most now! I have given her banana's but she wasn't too fond of them! I love it! =-)!

As for exclusively breastfeeding until 6 months old? I never heard of this one. It doesn't mean that her doctor is out of the "loop", it just means that EVERY doctor has a different opinion!

Oh yes, and I also wait a couple days in between. I would also like to know which food my daughter is having a reaction to, vs. giving her fruits in the morning and veggies at night... then she has a reaction and not knowing which one she would be allergic too!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 5:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• With all 4 of mine it was either sweet potatoes or squash first, but I have read that the starting with fruits thing doesn't really matter and I have found it true - even though all of mine went in pretty much the same order I have one that doesn't like fruits or veggies, one that loves veggies and not fruits, one that loves fruits and not veggies, and one that loves both. So I really don't think it matters which you give first.

Answer by missanc at 3:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Your son's doctor isn't up with the latest. Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for the first 6 months. Then baby can start with fork mashed banana, sweet potato, or avocado.

There are no longer rules about waiting a week between foods or lists of foods to avoid. There was a big study done that reviewed all the other studies and it was found that there was no basis for having to wait a week between foods or waiting until after a year for foods except for milk, honey, and foods that could choke. Of course you want to feed your baby onlly healthy foods to grow the best brain possible. Only small amounts of juice 4-6 ounces a day are recommended by the AAP.

Babies never need baby cereal, jar food, puffs, or other baby foods.

My babies started with banana. My grandbaby started sweet potato because his mother doesn't like banana.
    GailllAZ

Answer by GailllAZ at 3:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Your son's doctor isn't up with the latest. Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for the first 6 months. Then baby can start with fork mashed banana, sweet potato, or avocado."

Well, I'm unable to breastfeed, for starters. I've made the decision to give my son jarred baby food, and at 4 months. I wasn't asking about that, but thanks. I feel that I know what is right for my baby. I also still like to wait at least a few days between foods, as it IS possible for him to have an allergy, and I want to know which food it is if that were to be the case.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 3:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Not to start anything, BUT only about 3% of women are actually UNABLE to breastfeed...

ANYWAY. To answer your questions... We started baby oatmeal cereal (just one time per day) at 3 mo. Then veggies (peas, carrots, etc) first at 4. THEN we went to fruits.

And FYI, in case others are asking, I DID breastfeed (and am STILL breastfeeding.. my LO is 19 mo old). I had to supplement because I was unable to pump enough at work (one 20 min pumping session per day is NOT enough to sustain a baby). I mixed the cereal with breastmilk or formula, whichever I had on hand.
    Anonymous

• baked sweet potato
    Solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know little about).Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many now recommend skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    Two great books /websites on feeding babies, with differing philosophies, Baby Led Weaning www.babyledweaning.com and Super Baby Food www.superbabyfood.com You should be able to find them at your local library

Answer by rkoloms at 4:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Not to start anything, BUT only about 3% of women are actually UNABLE to breastfeed... "

I'm aware of the facts, though I've heard it's 4%. However, after 5 lactation consultants, Fenugreek, Mother's Milk tea, pumping every 2 hours for 40 minutes at a time, for three months...if I had no milk, I think I'm included in that group of women. All of that work wasn't worth one 3 oz bottle of milk a day. I gave him what I could for 3 months, but eventually my supply stopped altogether. He never latched on because he could never get any milk. Not that I need to explain myself to anyone, but there ya go.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. "

Am I the only one that thinks it actually tastes pretty good, lol? My son has loves the little bit he's tried. I also don't think it's expensive. It's what, 50 cents a jar at most? I think that's cheap, lol.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 5:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2010