Banister STILL broken keep calling ???

The banister in our house was loose when we moved in back in Aug. landlord knew this never fixed it. My oldest DD turned 3 on the 17 of this month and we had a party for her and it was even looser than it was when we moved in any real pressure and it will completely fall over . We called landlord the day after we found it was getting more loose .Had to leave a message then told us that since it's not a life threatening problem he would get to it today. Well it's almost 4 still hasn't came bye or called . Hubby says just leave it be , if anything happens to where someone falls through it we will sue since he is ignoring the problem . He lives a block away from us so that's not the problem . I want to call him and keep bugging him but then hubby is afraid he'll get mad since he told us when we moved in he doens't like to be bothered and if we do bug him he won't get it fixed. My dad could fix it but it's NOT his problem .

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 3:32 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• What an awful landlord :/ it IS dangerous. I would keep bothering him honestly.
    tjandjenna

Answer by tjandjenna at 3:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• it's his responsibility as a landlord to fix any problems with your rental. if he doesn't he could face fines. I would keep calling and if he doesn't comply tell him you are going to contact someone in the legal department.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 3:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You can put your rent in escrow until the banister is repaired. Not sure how to go about doing that though. You can probably look it up or contact Fair Housing maybe.
    Anonymous

• It is only considered a necessity to have a railing IF the steps are over 36" high in most places. You did not state how high the steps are. If they are higher then 36" or whatever your local codes state then I would call your local housing authority or city inspection department and report it as an unsafe condition.
    Anonymous

• It's a full staircase that leads up to the 2nd level . If the banister was not thier it would be open space to fall down the stairs .
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 9:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2010