Atheists against same-sex marriage?

Are there any atheist/agnostic mamas who are against same sex marriage? The vast majority of Christian/Jewish/insert religion here site their stance against it from a core contained within their religion. So it would be plausible that if you don't have a religion perse, that there wouldn't be a reason to be against it. Just curious. If you oppose same sex marriage and are without religious convictions, could you give a valid reason as to why you would not support same sex marraige.

BTW, I am a Christian for same sex marriage.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Regardless or not of religious affiliation, it isn't about religion. It is about individuals being able to have the same rights as others. I think this is an interesting question. Some people are against it because the idea of two individual of the same gender engaging in intimate behavior together "grosses them out".This is simply for  those who feel Biblically substantiated to impose their religious beliefs on all with no attention to the unconstitutionality of their actions. It is right there in the first amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

To make same sex marriage illegal based on the Bible, makes it unconstitutional.

AnonIsEasiest

Answer by AnonIsEasiest at 3:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• OK just like you being christian and FOR same sex marriage there can be non christians that are against it. Why start this? Why should anyone have to justify why they are against or for it. Why cant we stop beating this dead fish?
    Anonymous

• Just because I'm curious, and have never heard a valid response. Thanks for being snarky!
    Anonymous

• if you are christian and for it...then do you sometimes ask yourself if you are a "true christian"
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Wow, the Christian police are out today.
    I'm an atheist, and for it. I know many Christians who are for it, and I don't see how that would make them any less of a Christian, but I'm a blackhole void on any and all morals. :)
    hannah_belle

Answer by hannah_belle at 3:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• con't
    by imposing a ruling based on a Christian principle. Sorry detractors, but it is there, true and not what you want to hear.
    AnonIsEasiest

Answer by AnonIsEasiest at 4:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Im not being " snarky" ( gah I swear some people and these bull words)
    It is an honest response why are you trying to open this can of worms?
    Why does ANYONE have to validate their feelings to you ?
    Anonymous

• It's not about validation, it's the simple fact that the vast MAJORITY of responses in any other thread dealing with being against same sex marriage are for RELIGIOUS reasons. Therefore, if you aren't religious, I'm curious to know what the reason would be. If you don't want to "validate" a reason, then I guess don't answer. Apparently you needed to get some validation off your chest. Mission accomplished!
    Anonymous

• And Anoniseasiest, thank you for shedding light as to how someone can be Christian, or anything for that matter, and understand that religious beliefs should not be mandated to law.

But still no atheists that bring a response.....
    Anonymous

• Anon-"Im not being " snarky" ( gah I swear some people and these bull words)
    Why does ANYONE have to validate their feelings to you ? "
    ************
    Why is it a problem that she's curious? After reading the question I am also curious!
    If YOU don't like the question why do you have to be so crabby about her asking? just skip it...and answer something else

I am atheist but for it so...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2010