Does anyone know how to prevent kids from having low self esteem.

I have seen a lot of teenagers who have low self esteem. I have been told that most of the time it is due to not feeling good about themselves that goes back to childhood Is there something that you do or don"t do to make sure that they dont have low self esteem?

efh1108

Asked by efh1108 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• i had low self esteem. my parents never hugged or kissed me or told me they loved me
    Anonymous

• wow good question. I think its about building up their character and making them feel good about the good choices they make. Children will have areas in life they are great at and others they will lack......the idea is to make them feel confident about their abilities and that the areas they are lacking in are just areas they are good at but not as strong as others. About their appearance you have to teach them early on that everyone are individuals and beautiful no matter what. Differences are what make us beautiful and unique. People may come into their lives that say mean things but never pay attention to them because they are envious of us. I think the idea is to make them strong in their abilities as an individual and capable of knowing that being different is good no matter what anyone says.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 4:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I think a lot of kids feel this way because of what the pressure the media puts on them, ontop of comparing themselves to their peers, and parents not being as involved as parents used to be. When a child does something wrong you repremand them, as you should, but sometimes that's the only things parents point out. When a child does something good, even if it's as simple as cleaning their room without being asked, give them positive feedback. When they look nice in something they're wearing say "You really look nice in that sweater, I think the blue really brings out the color of your eyes." Those kinds of things. I understand a lot of kids take what their parents say with a grain of salt, but it is important to start positive habits at home first. They'll carry that with them wherever they go and that will create positive behaviour throughout their days/life.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Especially when they show a talent in something, encourage them to work at it to reach their full potential. When they get a good grade, let them know how proud you are of their hard work, etc. Giving positive feedback is important to a child's mental and emotional health, because it shows them that they are good at something, they are pretty, and they are smart.

Also encourage them to be happy that they have the ability to be an individual. Sure, there are things about other people we would like for ourselves, but if we were all the same it would be boring. We wouldn't have anyone to learn from, to grow from, and we'd have nothing to talk about. Just encourage positive things to help their self esteem grow.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• There are a series of books entitled "raising confident boys/girls" that teach you how
    IamPatSajak

Answer by IamPatSajak at 4:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Make sure you always express your love and pride in your child, never belittle your child, keep your child involved in activities that he or she enjoys and is good at and when they dont excel make those times teaching moments and make sure you let them know they are good at other things and are not failures...TRYING makes them not a failure.
    Just be a caring and involved parent, thats all you can do!
    jlizgar

Answer by jlizgar at 4:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• That is something you install on them when they are very young..I don't believe in name calling, calling your child negative names stays with them as they grow....have you ever heard of the term ...becareful how you talk to them, what you say to your child now is going to determine who they will be tommorrow...a child is not broken, but we as parents can brake them so easy ,,,what you say and what you do will chnge what your child will be...always use positive words,,,if they are good at something, let them know..Altough sometimes little things don't matter to us, a simple tying their shoes and you making a big deal out of if means alto to them
    BiBi2010

Answer by BiBi2010 at 4:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Tell them out great they are and focus on their positive characteristics. They need to hear the good.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2010