Does anybody use MagicJack? Pros? Cons?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• We have a Magic Jack. It's nice to not have a phone bill EVER. Just a one-time fee of 39.99 for the first year, then 19.99 per year afterward...
    PROS- *free long distance. *No phone bill. *EASY to install and use!!!
    CONS- you have to have your computer on all the time. *Only one phone will work per magic jack, so we only have one cordless phone in the house. *When the magic jack is being used (on desktop), the wireless internet doesn't connect on my laptop.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 4:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Wait...so you have to have the computer on to recieve calls...what if you are in the middle of an email...does it notify you when a call comes through?
    Anonymous

• Yes, the computer has to be left on at all times. BUT if you're at the computer where the magic jack is plugged in, you won't lose anything- the internet works just fine. It's my WIRELESS that messes up. And the phone rings just like it normally would.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 5:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My wireless still works while I use it. The problem I have is that dh has the computer set up to do automatic updates which restarts the computer every time and shutting down the Magic Jack. It's a pita..............just forewarning. Maybe make sure your computer doesn't automatically update. Oh and if you're downloading something big, the magic jack line will be choppy. It is nice to never have a phone bill though and the free long distance is great.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2010