Which small dog typically do best with children?

Our children are 3 and 4, their birthdays are this summer. We are wanting to get a small dog. We already have one dog, he is big and we want another. I have heard Pugs and Boston Terriers are good with kids, but we do not want one of those. I like "prettier" dogs like Papillon(which is what I would like to have) and Westies. I of course am not going to get a dog just because it is cute. I want one that will fit with our family.

RaeLynn1221

Asked by RaeLynn1221 at 4:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Pets

• I grew up with westies. Both my sisters have them now. They are very good with kids, and hypo allergenic, and really cute!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 4:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i love bostons! i also think king charles spaniels are cute. but if u have a large dog, is he going to allow a smaller dog to come into the family?
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yes our dog is very good with other pets. We had cats in the house at one time and he loved them. He is a really sweet dog.
    RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 5:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• my boys are 3 and 4 now.....we have a shih tzu that turns 1 in february....she's great with them.
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I find it funny that you are asking this question and have asked in several groups and on several answers...you aren't getting what you want so you keep asking different ways.

Small dogs are not good with kids....it isn't going to change no matter how many times or how many different ways you phrase the question.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 7:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Beagles are great
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 7:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yorkies are very playful and wonderful with kids! Whatever you do, don't get a Cocker Spaniel. They aren't good with small children at all. Our 3 year old's scar on her face can prove it.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Acid I am asking to get more advice. Why do you care?
    RaeLynn1221

Answer by RaeLynn1221 at 8:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• We have a boston and he is great with my kids, the only thing is he gets really wound up and jumps around and knocks my 3 year old down sometimes. I would not suggest a pekinese, we had one growing up and she had no tolerance for smaller kids.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• my girlfriend has a poodle. he's good with kids. and have a terrior. and he's fine with kids.my neighbor has a beagle and she's great with kids. too.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 11:24 AM on Jan. 24, 2010