• In the Spotlight:

Stripping membranes question?

If your 37 weeks and 5 days, could you request one?

Also did it work for you?

I'm feeling miserable and cant take this anymore, I was thinking about this but wanted to do some researching first.

Please no rude answers.

Thanks

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 4:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I don't recommend it-- I don't like adding unnecessary risks (especially to the baby).

Because I believe that the body is still pregnant for an important reason, I believe we should respect that.
    I can send over some info for your research, won't fit in here.

;-)
    Best wishes!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You can request one, but be prepared to be turned down. This is normally done while in active labor. It helps speed up the process with out any medication. And at 38 weeks your OB will probably agree to continue to let nature take it's course. There are other ways of putting your self into labor. Google and research. But, I would say that nature is the best option. And this is coming from a 37 week along pregnant woman whose hips pop out of socket every step I take, I have to go to PT 3 times a week, and wear a hip brace for the pain. Not only that but my hands dont work al that well any more. I can type, but writing is out of the question. Don't worry honey your not the only miserable one. I feel your pain! Good Luck and think of reliefe that is coming soon.
    luvbnmomnwife

Answer by luvbnmomnwife at 5:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• The dr. will probably strip your membranes during week 39 as the due date gets closer. I feel your pain. I'm getting ready to be "done" as well. But just remember it will be worth the pain in the end. Every day in the womb is going to help the baby.
    Hang in there.
    RaRa921

Answer by RaRa921 at 5:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I'm getting mine done on Tuesday at 37 weeks... I have heath reasons why they are doing mine... From the reach I've been doing... It's about a 50 50 shot... Most of the women I've talked too... It's worked for them... I think it just really depends on the woman is what I'm getting and how active you are after...
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 5:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• yesbut the doctor can say no. some doctors wont do it until you are over 39 wks. i hadmine done at 38 wks. cuz my dcotor said he would do it. it didnt hurt, but i was 4cm dialted and 75% effaced . i ahd her the next mornign, but again like otehrs said be prepared to be turn down. also it only works for a few percentage of woma. my friend had her maenbarabe stripped 3 times. and ened up being induced at 41 wks
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 6:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I had it done at 37wks 6 days and 38wks 5 days and it put me in labor immediately, my daughter was born perfectly healthy with no problems whatsoever. If baby is ready to come, baby will come, however if baby's not ready then he wont come. It's a personal choice to have it done and if you feel it's the right one for you then I see no reason not to do it as long as you practitioner is  ok with it.

HMHUTSON

Answer by HMHUTSON at 7:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2010