Why do moms give in???

I hate when I go shopping, and I am standing on line to pay and it never fails...When a kid is throwing a tantrum....crying, screaming, hitting mom, just because he/she is not getting what she wants...I hear the mother reasoning with the child...."honey is not nice to hit mommy"..or better yet, how about the restaurants...OMG..and it never fails that the kid always get what he/she wants..... I have a better one for you..One day I went to do my nails, and this lady came with her two little monsters...All they did is run around, until finally, one of them bumps into me while the lady was painting my nails and smooched them....I have five children and I went everywhere with them...Why are moms so weak???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:10 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I have no clue... I just tell them that they aren't screaming loud enough yet, and ask them to try again... Or something along those lines, it usually embarrasses them enough to make them stop. I don't reason, if they want something from me, whining or yelling is the quickest way NOT to get it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 5:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• smooched them? They kissed your nails?
    Anonymous

• I love my son and like to make him happy. If that means spending 89 cents more on a toy car than that is what I will do. He is worth WAYYYYY more (and deserves way more) than that 89 cent car.
    Anonymous

• lack of parenting skills is my assumption initially....
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 5:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I agree with LynnB1

Answer by admckenzie at 6:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Mine has never behaved like that in public. He stays next to me, is soft spoken and behaves better than quite a few adults I see.
    If he ever DID act that way for some crazy, he-has-lost-his-mind-and-gone-nuts-check-him-for-fever reason.. I dont care where we were or what I was doing, I would haul him out of there in a split second. I dont spank, but he would fully understand that his actions would not be tolerated again.
    I would not subject everyone around us to his nonsense. And I would NEVER give in to him either.. Why reward bad behavior? It only reinforces it. I will reward good behavior at unexpected times. He knows and understands then that I appreciate how well behaved he is.

Sometimes, though, you never know if an unseen medical condition is causing their actions in some cases. Just a thought..
    Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 7:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Don't be so judgemental. You don't know anything about these poor mothers, other than the brief moments you witnessed. We ALL make decisions that are sometimes interpreted as poor choices by others, but in the end, we have to do what we feel is the right thing to do.

When you become a perfect mom, and never, EVER screw up, then you can make all the judgements you want.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I agree with Fallaya. We don't KNOW what is going on in their worlds. But we do know that they need more structure or help because no matter what your background is or current situation nothing makes it even worse than not having a good grip on your kids. When they act out like that and it takes you _____this much longer to get a hold of them, you end up even more worn out, stressed, and even more frustrated than you currently may be feeling. The cycle won't ever be broken and things will just get worse. Moms need to find their grip and not let go. Be tough and loving. Let them know by actions that you are in charge. you should never try to convince or reason with your kids for the right to be in charge of the situation. That is just crazy and will never work. You may have to go through your fair share of kicking and screaming drag outs before it is over with but it is better than being a push over.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 8:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I agree with Fallaya . . as usual ;)
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Hooray, good for you. Your a big strong bull of a mom. Can you give me your secrets. Of all the children i have seen MAYBE one percent are quiet and the rest are just...........you know...........CHILDREN. You are my inspiration. I hope i will be like you some day.
    Anonymous