Does more kids necessarily mean more chaos and stress?

I've got 2 (4 and 1 1/2)and am debating a 3rd. How much difference will a 3rd make in terms of stress, getting some time to myself, and the overall chaos in my house? I feel right now I can give a good amount of time to each, but am really concerned if I add a third to the equation. I do not like stress and chaos and don't want to be overwhelmed. Also, would it cost that much more?

I'm 31 and would prefer to be done by 33. I don't want to take the risks associated with being over this age.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• I only have one so my advice isnt great. By the time you have your 3rd one your 1st one will be in school though right? This will you time for quality with the younger two. If you can balance out time in the evenings say your DH watches the two little ones & you spend time talking about your oldest ones day or something alone then I'd say you can spread out quality time easily among them all. I'm sure you'll be fine though, a lot of women do it.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 5:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• for me I'd say yes.....adding another child definitely increases the stress levels....and the cost def goes up......
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Your assuming that 3rd will have no medical conditions, those things do happen. That would certainly take time away from your two kiddos now and your husband as well. You also have to care of you.
    Anonymous

• I have more time now that I have two. Go figure.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 6:38 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yes Anon, I agree. The two I have already have medical conditions (serious life threatening food allergies that really take a toll on our lives...people have no idea how much of an issue food allergies are until you're dealing with it). That's another factor as well. Do I want to risk ANOTHER child with these horrible issues. My kids are left out of SO MUCH and I'm constantly worrying about them.
    Anonymous

• wow, what food allergy is it?
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Can you deal with the sleepless night again? Marathon breastfeeding sessions while you're trying to keep track of your other two kids? Spending more money on diapers, wipes and rash creams. Less time to sleep and catch your breath. It's up to you, but I couldn't do it.

My first and only child was born when I was 34 years old. Although I'm far from an old lady (lol), I definitely have less energy and stamina than I did when I was in my 20's.

Good luck.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:45 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• **meant to say sleepless NIGHTS
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• More children=more stress.
    IzzeAddy

Answer by IzzeAddy at 7:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• More children do = more stress but for me the stress really didn't start until age 6 and up for my last 2. They are very close but they also fight all the time. One is always trying to out do the other. One is always trying to get only my attention. One wants the computer or wants to watch this on tv and the other doesn't. One wants the phone and the other complains" I don't have anyone to call".. Yep, yep this is our life now... When they were babies, that was the easy time LOL... My last 2 are 23 months apart. And yes the expense does go up and I can not wait til bed time most nights.. But I still love them and wouldn't change a thing but it is tough on some days.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2010