Haiti was a mess before this, so what were you doing about it before this earthquake?

I'm sick of some of you bashing and jumping on those who dare to question the $ trail to Haiti's help. Not one question that I've read, said we should not help, quite the contraty. However, kids were dying, things were a mess, and corruptions ran/runs wild. What high horse give you the right to belittle those who want to know where the $ comes from and to where it goes? Sure, it wasn't nearly as bad, but don't kid yourselves. This earthquake just made us all SEE HAITI. I wish some of you would grow up! Yea, I'm anon, because I don't want hate messages in my box, but you know what I'm talking about.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My plates been pretty full.
    I give at church.
    As no one person can save the world, i give and know that my money is going to people who need it.

I thought that most people think we should mind our own business?
    What are we supposed to do about their friggin corrupt government?
    We can't impose sanctions on starving people can we?
    Are we going to go over there and kick their government out???
    Libs would gripe about THAT!
    Can someone please answer this?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I for one am tired of seeing the "there are poor here, too." Yes, there are poor here. the majority of the posts aren't questioning the money but sounding like whiny, entitled brats.

Yes, Haiti was a mess before the earthquake. some people have been giving to causes that have helped in Haiti for years. Some will start now. I have been giving to Save the Children for forever and they have been in Haiti for quite a while.

If you want to know where the money you give will go, find a charity with an excellent pie chart that gives 80-95% of the donations to those who are in need. Standwithhaiti.org is an excellent choice. Government money, well we have always been a debtor nation, don't think it will change any time soon.

Give a little. Give a lot. Don't give anything. But don't think you are so superior because you are worried about where money comes from or where it goes. Many more, and many better people already have.
    Anonymous

• The question of trailing the $ puts the $ ahead of what is really important, HUMAN LIVES. Before Haiti was poor and conditions were bad, but at least they had each other and a place to live, and the prospect of some food, now what do they have?
    What I was doing before the disaster, doing the same I am doing now only in a smaller scale, donating discarded items by some of us which is a treasure to them.

Answer by older at 6:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• The question of trailing the $ puts the $ ahead of what is really important, HUMAN LIVES.

***
    It is BECAUSE I care about HUMAN LIVES that I want to be sure that my donations get to the intended recipients and not towards lining the pockets of administrators--many of whom earn healthy 6 figure incomes!

If I cannot find a financial breakdown history on a particular charity, I don't give. Why is that so awful?
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Lorikeet, you need to trust that the majority will reach them, or at least wait until the recover all the dead and take care of the injured, and human suffering is not raw. I do agree that this type of thing provides a chance for the greedy, but I think the human race needs to pull together at times like this and not be so focused on this now.

Answer by older at 7:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Anon: 01's answer is right on the money. Most people who give to Emergency relief funds are already monthly contributors to non-profit organizations that help out in Haiti or countries like Haiti. As for what I was doing personally before Haiti? Well my financial records are privy only to myself, my husband, and the IRS. BUT if you must know I was a monthly contributor for a year and a half to a non-profit organization that worked in non profit areas and had less than 10% overhead. Then I moved on to becoming a monthly contributor to another organization, this one specialized in providing health care to children with chronic and/or terminal illnesses. Now I am a free-spirit as far as donating goes. Being Charitable is a great thing. You should try it Anon OP.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 7:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• OP, you do know the US gives Haiti more than $200 million dollars annually...with or without a hurricane/earthquake/other disaster. All of this money, basically down a rat hole. THIS is why people want our current aid to be carefully doled out and accounted for. We don't want lump sums given to the corrupt government. It is the people that need our annual aid, not the government.

I sent Haiti one of the most precious things I have my husband. He took a group of all volunteer military down there.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Seriosuly ANON, You do know that the people who gave when this came up are most likely like us and donate year 'round.
    Why complain about it? If you dotn like it then DONT donate! Noone is breaking your arm making you do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:28 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Well, since you asked....I had spent time in Haiti helping out the locals there. Lost lots of weight there because I was afraid to eat the food....so, tell me your time frame when you were there helping and we'll see if we were there at the same time. ; )
    pvtjokerus

Answer by pvtjokerus at 9:47 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Lorikeet, you need to trust that the majority will reach them

I have this beautiful ocean front villa I want to sell you in New Mexico. The profits will go to help sick babies. Cash only, please.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:12 PM on Jan. 24, 2010