Fasting for spirituality? (I'm Pagan but feel free to answer if you can be kind).

I am in starting phases of fasting. I will be doing a juice fast for 3 sunrises to sundowns. My main motivation for this fasting is purely physical (for health, detox). But the closer i get to the official fasting experience the more i'm thinking that i'd like to reap all the benefits and possibly make this a spiritual adventure for me as well. I have never fasted before so this will all be new.

So my questions are: how do i make this a spiritual experience? does it require extra meditation and/or prayer? do you have any tips or suggestions on how to get (and give) the best from this experience? Anything else?

Please keep in mind that i have 2 young children (4 and 5), so things like all day meditation just simply aren't possible.

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 5:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I, personally, think that fasting does not bring ME any closer to enlightenment. I know that there are many paths that require self-deprivation to acheive the next spiritual level, but I believe in enjoying life to the fullest, including eating one too many cookies ;) Indulgence, and anything that brings me pleasure (which food does) is something I see as spiritual. When I'm happy I'm putting happy vibes into the world. When I'm hungry and pissed off I'm not gonna be any help to anyone :p

But if you feel that this can help you, my suggestion would be mindfulness. Mindfulness is a form of meditation. You take a moment to take a deep breath and be purely PRESENT. Fully experience all the sensations of your body, become aware of the angle of the sunlight or how the stormclouds look in the disance. Try to be mindful as much as possible and center yourself. Good luck!

Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Usually when fasting a christian prays and meditates. But if you don't believe in that, maybe you could just think good thoughts about people. Maybe about the poor people in Haiti?
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I havent fasted before, but I've watched my mother do it quite a few times. She usually (during her spiritual fast) drinks lots of water, prays, meditate, restricts from the tv, phone calls and limits her social interaction.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 6:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• my mom told me that when we fast we become closer to God. also that about after three days of fasting the hunger leaves.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 6:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I do meditate and pray. i was just stating that i can't do it all day long. lol

be mindful. ...sounds Buddhist. But it is something that will help me i think.

If i gave up any more of my socialization i'd be a monk. lol. seriously. my main form of socialization is this right here. ...sad, i know. :(

3 days is all i'm fasting for. but i'm preparing my body for the main fast right now. I've cut out meat, eggs and dairy (and all things which contain those things). in a day or 2 i'll be cutting out pretty much everything but raw fruits and veggies.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I sent you a PM... thought it more personal to do so than post on the forum
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 8:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I fast for some holidays but not for as long as others bc of health issues. Hope your detox goes well!
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 11:54 AM on Jan. 26, 2010