Haiti Donation

So the government says you can deduct your donations to Haiti on 2009 taxes. Does that mean I can deduct an amount for the Army mandated donation of my husband to the Haiti relief effort?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• he may be paid, but not enough. none of the service members are paid enough. do you honestly think that she is going to make a difference asking for more money from the government? i doubt it.so before you have any other asinine ideas....maybe you should use common sense.
    this isnt a condescending question, she was venting. get over it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• u SHOULD be able to get his pay tax free. hopefully they will use this time to make proper adjustments.
    mrsjosey1018200

Answer by mrsjosey1018200 at 5:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I find this a little crazy. What happened in Haiti WAS awful. I get that. I do not begrudge them a SINGLE CENT being donated to their relief and have donated to that relief specifically myself. That being said........what makes a donation to THIS cause more worthy than to another cause? What makes THIS cause BETTER? I think they open the door with this for other people to say they want THEIR Jan, Feb, March donations to XYZ to be tax deductible on the 09 taxes TOO. Is there a good REASON WHY people need that tax deduction NOW? Just a little crazy.

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Sorry...that didnt answer your question LOL. I have no idea :)
    momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• What organization did the donation go to? Write that organization (or call) and ask for a receipt for tax purposes. If its a non-profit it should be tax deductible. USAID is not a non profit, so if the donation was to them you may be out of luck.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 8:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Call the IRS, and ask.

Answer by older at 8:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• the point is, her husband had to go over there.
    if everyone else can get a tax credit for their monetary donations, then what is she going to get for her husband having to go over.
    Anonymous

• the point is, her husband had to go over there. if everyone else can get a tax credit for their monetary donations, then what is she going to get for her husband having to go over.

OIC well then that's asinine. Does anyone get a tax credit for doing their job? Its an admirable job yes, but I think her question, if thats what is meant by it, undermines the integrity of the military.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 10:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• No tax credit for Haiti. Sorry. My husband is over there too. It may be a "war zone" but it isn't a war zone.

Ask people to call their congressional leaders to put a little bug in the ear of the IRS on this. It is really quite dangerous over there right now.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Oh and it isn't a tax credit or a deduction. It is tax free pay..for war zones....while you are deployed. The least we can do considering so many of those families are on food stamps back home...don't you think!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 11:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2010