How to make home made soup?

I want to make a home made soup how much water do i use what can i use? And can i frezze left overs?

Momofaprince146

Asked by Momofaprince146 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• How much water you use depends on how much soup you're making. I always like to cut up all my veggies, put them in the pot and cover them with water, plus about 2 inches. Then I boil and add water as they cook. Once they're done cooking I add boullion cubes or powder, spices, and the meat. I let it simmer for about 3 hours and then serve hot. Or if I'm making a cream-based soup I cook the veggies, add the spices, then add the milk/cream and heat just before boiling, then serve hot.

Some soups freeze really well and others do not. You'll just have to try it out and see :) Make sure you use a really good freezable container so it doesn't freezerburn!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 6:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It all depends on what kind of soup you want to make. Chicken soup? Tomato soup? Go to a site like epicurious.com and find a recipe that sounds good. Many have reviews to see if other have liked them. We do freeze many of our leftover soups.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 6:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i dont use much because i use mostly chicken broth or beef broth
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• the container says put 1 chicken bouillon cube per cup of water but i fill the kettle up with water and throw in like 5 of them. i like to use any dumpling recipe on the internet thats simple and let them simmer in your pot till done, u should add your veggies if you like them. then your soup noodles last.

if you like chicken, i would boil all of your chicken to make the broth until chicken is done then peel your chicken off, strain your broth so all the chicken pieces and fat arent in your broth, put your clean broth back into the kettle and add one bouillon cube for flavor
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Depends on what kind! I use Chicken, of Vegetable broth, instead of water, also yes you can freeze the leftovers!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 6:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Many soups taste better after freezing. Here is one of our faves: Lentil Soup - This is the recipe I start with. I add some diced mushrooms, shredded zucchini, chopped cauliflower, whatever is around; I use all broth and no water
    2 cups lentils, sorted and rinsed
    4 cups water
    4 cups vegetable broth or water
    1 large onion, chopped
    1/2 cup chopped carrot
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3 Tbsp fresh chopped parsley
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1 (16 oz) can tomatoes and their juice, cup up
    2 Tbsp red wine vinegar (I use apple cider vinegar)
    1 cup uncooked very small whole wheat pasta such as ditalini or elbows (optional)
    parmesan cheese (to serve)
    Place lentils in large soup pot with water, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, parsley, pepper, oregano. Cover pan and simmer 1 hour.

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 7:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• NOTE: make sure that the lentils are completely cooked before adding salt or acid.
    Add tomatoes and their juice, salt and vinegar. Simmer 30 minutes longer, adding 1 cup uncooked very small pasta (such as ditalini or elbows) if desired. I also add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil.
    Serve with more vinegar and parmesan cheese

• I tend not to use water, I prefer to use broth. You can make your own (if you have bones or a carcus) or buy it in the store. If I'm making a beef soup I use beef broth and canned tomatoes. When I make chicken soup I use chicken broth and I usually throw a can of tomato soup in there too. If you're making a vegetable based soup like broccoli soup or tomato soup you can use vegetable broth, although I tend to use chicken broth in those too.

You can freeze leftovers, although some of the veggies might have a different texture.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 8:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I start with 1/2 pan of water. Chop & add whaterver veggies & meat, onion, garlic. I don't use boullion cubes. I season with garlic powder, onion, powder, salt, pepper, Mrs Dash garlic & herb, onion & herb, and dill weed. If I need more water then I add more. I also throw in a cup of rice. You should simmer, not boil, soup. Boiling destroys the nutrients.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 9:30 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• Whatever liquid you use, general rule of thumb is the 2 inches above whatever else is in the pot as mentioned above. You want to aim for a very slow simmer, and plan on it taking several hours, but that will get you the best concentration of the flavor. Pretty much any soup can freeze, but skim it first for best results. It's time consuming, but if you refrigerate it overnight first, the fat will all float to the top and solidify - it's easier to take it off solid. Then divide up what's left to freeze after you take the fat out.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:56 PM on Jan. 24, 2010