food stamp and cash aid question.............

My husband receives food stamps and cash aid for our family. He just got a job working in the school cafeteria making pizza. I thought we were supposed to report this within 10 business days but hubby is insisting it can wait until our next report in March. I don't want to get in trouble for not reporting if we need to go in on Monday and do it. We live in California if that helps.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Money & Work

• first congrats on hubby getting a job that great
    second i recieve food stamps in California and yes you only have ten days to tell them
    but, they wont change anything till after your reporting month
    Anonymous

• If they find out that you have had the job longer then you claim, they will make you pay it back. They will take it out of your tax refunds.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 6:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• OP here-Hubby says all we have to do is tell them when he started in when we report in March.
    Anonymous

• Well, im in NC so they may do things a little different. My mothers husband had a job for 2 weeks before reporting it (he was going to report first of the month) and they made him pay them back. So, thats just my personal experience. Good luck with it though.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 6:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• OP-Thank you. I appreciate it.
    Anonymous

• yeah, just reporting it is what is necessary but to make sure it never hurts to call and ask your worker. Better safe than sorry

Answer by admckenzie at 6:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Honestly the cash aid part is alot more strict than food stamps...they want you to report changes ASAP! NOT wait...the changes will be made to your foodstamp case at the end i guess in march when your recertification is due...but your cash will either be taken away or youll recieve a lesser amt starting immediately. Honestly dont listen to your husband, that can really hurt you in the long run...report it now...Congrats on the job!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 6:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i'd report it right away. and go your HUBBY!!! so many people aren't finding jobs.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It HAS to be reported within the 10 days or you can lose your FS & aid! If he waits til March you could be up a creek! There's no reason you can't call yourself and report it, it's not that hard - you just have to tell your caseworker he started X job at X place making X money.
    Anonymous