What can a do/take for sinus problems??? HELP!

I'm 17 weeks pregnant. My nose is congested. And i can't hear out of my left ear at all...its soooo stopped up!!! Any ideas for relief? I'm going insane!!!

Mrs.Loeffel

Asked by Mrs.Loeffel at 6:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Pregnancy

• My Dr. Recommended Zyrtec once a day or allegra. Plain allegra. No D or anything. Or Benadryl. Robutussin for cough. I have the same prob.
    nakoal87

Answer by nakoal87 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Avoid dairy while you are sick – it can increase the amount of mucus your body produces.
    Peppermint tea is great! Peppermint is a natural decongestant; just be sure that peppermint is the only ingredient.
    Honey (antibacterial) and cayenne pepper (anti-inflammatory) is the best cough syrup.throat soother.
    Emergen-C will help you stay hydrated and give you an energy boost; be sure to mix it with cold water. The lowest price is at Trader Joes, though it is sold just about everywhere (Target, Walgreens, etc.).
    I am a big believer in the power of foods. This healing foods pyramid from the University of Michigan is great: http://www.med.umich.edu/umim/food-pyramid/index.htm
    Get some Elderberry syrup. The FDA criticized the manufacturer of Tamiflu for "overstatement" of claims of efficacy, since blind studies comparing it to a placebo only resulted in a 1.3 day difference.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• A study on Sambucol (Elderberry) found a 3-4 day difference in duration of symptoms.
    Most important, stay well hydrated!
    I always make miso soup when someone is sick
    Morning miso
    2 cups veg. broth
    2 cups hot water
    4 Tbsp. miso
    1 tsp. fresh ginger root, grated
    1/2 cup diced firm tofu
    3 Tbsp. thinly sliced scallion greens
    1/2 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
    I have substituted onion for the scallions, and left out the mushrooms. I have also added some thinly sliced chinese cabbage, because I happened to have it.)

Pour the veg. broth and 1 cup of water into medium saucepan. In separate bowl, dissolve the miso in the remaining 1 cup water. Mix well and add to saucepan. Add the ginger root and mushrooms and heat until simmering (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in
    the tofu and scallions. (If adding other veg. like onion or cabbage, you'll want to simmer until they are tender before adding tofu.)

• I had horrible sinus issues when I was pregnant. I found that usuing Xclear nose spray (its drug free) and a neti pot in the shower 1 - 2 times a day worked awesome! good luck.
    VelvetCat

Answer by VelvetCat at 7:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i have thyroid disease to i am unable to take alot of decongestents and when i was pregant it was worst. i had horrible sinus problems and would snore so loud my husband couldnt sleep in the same bed. so the only thing i could really do was saline nose spray. most of the time its more inflamation because of the increase of blood volume. but you might want to keep an eye on your blood pressure as well and eat less salt. it will help with the swelling in your nasel passages and later on your feet.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 8:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• have you tried a neti pot? i have heard they are great!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2010