Doctor says my 15 month old is wayy underweight?

She absolutely refuses to eat any baby food. She wants foods that she can grab and feed to herself and wont have it any other way, and half the time she is too distracted looking and playing with everything to even notice there's food in front of her. I want to know if there is anything healthy I can feed her so she'll gain a bit of weight. Right now I've been giving her chopped up grapes, scrambled eggs, cheerios, green beans, peas, carrots and a few other things. I'm running out of ideas here lol If anyone has ideas or tricks to get kids to eat your help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! =]

Amayawolf

Asked by Amayawolf at 6:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My daughter is 16 months today, she eats, those things and also: chicken nuggetts cut up in pieces, fruit cups, green beans, sliced carrotts cooked, potaotes in can cooked, animal cookies, crackers, goldfish crackers, mac n cheese, buttered noodles, chef boy ardee not the meat just the pasta, yogurt, jello, buttered toast cut up, mini pancakes from freezer section, all veggies, I think that's about it, hope this helps, my daughter is like your baby only eats what she can feed herself.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I'm having the same problem with my 17mo son. The advice they gave me was to let him feed himself.. oie, not looking forward to the mess!!!
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 7:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• She needs some healthy fats, like avocado, tofu, etc. Stay away from baby food and start working towards your child eating the same balanced, healthy diet that you do.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• my dd is 14mos and eats everything under the sun. but again will only eat things that she can handle. i have more of a problem with my 3 yo eating but the best way that i found was that all the toys and tv get put away and turned off and everyone sits at the table/highchair and eats. this way they arent distracted by everything around them. i also have a problem with mykids wanting to feed the animals thier food rather than eating then when its all gone they want to eat lol so i put the animals outside or in their crates to prevent this.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 7:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Your daughter is plenty old enough to eat everything that you are. Just cut in smaller pieces. She does NOT need any babyfood at her age. Try giving her Pediasure a couple times a day. Make sure it is really cold, it tastes better. Let her feed herself. It may take longer and be messier but that is part of growing up and developing. Instead of bigger meals, feed her 6 times a day..smaller meals. Breakfast, am snack, lunch, pm snack, dinner, bedtime snack. Limit juice intake so she will eat. If she is thirsty during the day, give her water. She could be getting too much juice and milk and not be hungry at meals.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:55 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i don't know what your dd weighs, but some kids are tiny, just like some adults. i don't agree with fattening up children. i do agree w/ rkoloms w/ her avocado and nut suggestions! is your dd developmentally to par? i would say that is more important than her weight alone. funny, dr's want the babies fat, but now worry that our children are fat. now is the time to teach healthy eating habits for life, like pp's said.
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• you never said what she weighs....but if she won't let youfeed her then you need to let her do it.

just make it small and manageable.

my middle dd was 17pounds when she was 14months...but had a super high metabolism and enough energy for the family. she ate all the time and never gained an ounce (today she's 6.5 and barely 35pounds)

healthy well rounded diet - lots of fruits, veggies, proteins, the healthy fats and just keep her full as well you can.

don't go all crazy and start feeding her high calorie drinks and other stuff like that to 'fatten her up' its just nonsense.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 11:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2010