Do you think they help or hinder?

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.4e601264cbdad356a9d677659aa5919c.51&show_article=1

Amid the mass of aid agencies piling in to help Haiti quake victims is a batch of Church of Scientology "volunteer ministers", claiming to use the power of touch to reconnect nervous systems.

A wealthy private donor provided his airplane to fly in 80 volunteers from Los Angeles, along with 50 Haitian-American-doctors, in a gesture worth 400,000 dollars, said a Parisian volunteer who gave her name as Sylvie.

"We're trained as volunteer ministers, we use a process called 'assist' to follow the nervous system to reconnect the main points, to bring back communication," she said.

"When you get a sudden shock to a part of your body the energy gets stuck, so we re-establish communication within the body by touching people through their clothes, and asking people to feel the touch."

29again

Asked by 29again at 6:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't see anything useful in handing out antibiotics to anyone they walk past. I see something criminally negligent and it's a shame we're too busy having telethons to bring a little organization down there to stop them.
    Anonymous

• Another group of Scientologists distributed antibiotic pills. "The doctors said give everyone with wounds antibiotics," said Italian volunteer Marina.
    Continued---
    Some doctors at the hospital are skeptical. One US doctor, who asked not to be named, snorted: "I didn't know touching could heal gangrene."

When asked what the Scientologists are doing here, another doctor said: "I don't know."

Do you care? "Not really," she said, wheeling an unconscious patient out of the operating room to join hundreds of others in the hospital's sunny courtyard.

I thought that Scientologists did not believe in medications, doctors, etc. Does this make sense to anyone, that they would dispense meds, that they would basically use faith healing? Do you think they really help, or do you feel they are in the way of the doctors and nurses?
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• (Ooops, I got the Continued in the wrong spot above! So sorry!!)
    29again

Answer by 29again at 6:51 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Scientologists scare me and make me laugh my ass off at the same time.Bunch of freaks! Definitely hindering the efforts!
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It seems to me that $400,000 could have been put to much better use, other than these folks going on a "make me feel good, about me" adventure. If they are helping by following medical directions to help people, then I guess that is good but if they are there to pander their religion on people who don't have the same beliefs, I can't see where that will work out very well...
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 7:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Can they send Tom Cruise over, that'd be swell

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• LOLOL @ sweet!!!
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:25 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• What really makes me roll my eyes is that they are using a process they have named "assist" and even more, they taught that one kid's SISTER how to do it!!! I believe in the power of prayer, or positive energy, or whatever you want to call it, and I believe that some few special people have a natural ability to help the healing process. That cannot be taught. That is something you are born with. I personally feel that these "volunteers" have an ulterior motive in their volunteering. And that they probably do get in the way.
    Also, their "religion" doesn't believe in medication, so how do they justify giving antibiotics to the wounded? I can't quite get around that, either.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Why don't they do some touching in the USA and help our paralyzed friends here if it is that easy and works? Why are they hiding this extraordinarily great ability? Maybe because they actually can't do this wonderful thing. Can you say "crock of crap". If they want to help, then go help, but don't make outrageous claims.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Meh. They have good intentions. Many people in crisis need something to believe in. Why do you think missionaries go to impoverished places? Because these people are the most receptive and easy to convert.

I don't think that they are any more or less crazy than most religions. I would however have a problem if they were telling people to do things that were not in their best interest, like not taking an antibiotic for an infection that will kill them, or to fast and pray for 10 days when they are already malnourished.
    twin_mommy

Answer by twin_mommy at 1:25 AM on Jan. 24, 2010