Is a child's late development a reflection on their parent's parenting ability?

Say a child doesn't give up the bottle until 3 or 4. Or they aren't potty trained until 5 or 6. Or they don't walk until 18 months or talk until 36. Is this a poor reflection their parents?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:57 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Could be it might also depend on the parent or the child for their situation, not all situations are the same. I'm not the brightest crayon on the box, but my 16 month old is very advanced and she blows my mind, plus I work with her everyday.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 6:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Could the child just be developmentally delayed? There are a lot of reasons a child could be delayed and none of them reflect the parents ability. The kid would beed to be evaluated by a doctor to be able to determine if its a parenting problem or something within the kid.
    Anonymous

• not wallking and slow development ect is differnt then not giving op the bottle, development is not a reflection of the parents, the parents not standing up to their kid and taking te bottle away is ..... imo
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• So my ability and my husband's ability to parent our child is reflecting on his lack of speech or is it the missing part of the chromosome that our son is missing? I know that we're doing our part to catch him up with his speech because of the cleft palate that he was born with and thanfully repaired.
    jilligan362

Answer by jilligan362 at 7:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I think that is really possible, I know some people who I think really hold there child back by leaving her in a play pen all day, she didn't walk until 16 months, she still has a bottle at 2 she isn't talking much at all...etc...But it could also be challenges with in the child that maybe should be checked out by the doctor...I work with my son alot and he crawled at 5 months, stopped taking bottles at 7 1/2 months, walked at 8 1/2 months and is now 10 months old and can say 12 words...I so proud of him...but there is also that some kids just develop slower than others...so i think it is a different situation with every child that is delayed.
    Anonymous

• I can be. If there are no medical reasons, then yes.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It certainly can be. But i would have to say that MOST of the time that is not the case.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It could be a reflection of parenting, but it could also be a medical problem. There is no clear cut answer for every child and parent. My oldest son was a fast learner, and some people thought my middle child was a slow learner. He wasn't, but in comparison to Mr. I can do it Myself, it appeared so. LOL. My older kids were both off a bottle by 1 year old, but my oldest son potty trained a lot sooner than middle son. I would agree that still taking a bottle at 3 is different than not walking.
    Katlyne120806

Answer by Katlyne120806 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I didnt read the other posts...only b/c I have a strong opinion on this.

I have seen push over parents who just allow things like this to continue for their own benifit...its easier sometimes....or they want to give their kid whatever they want....etc

BUT BUT BUT....having a dd with mild autism...I know that sometimes kids can give their parents a run for their money....lol...they may either need those things...bottle or paci for some medical or emotional need or not be able to be potty trained at the appropriate age...

Basically I mean that its not ALWAYS the parents fault...their are issues REAL issues that can cause a kid to be delayed.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• not giving up the bottle or paci or potty training could be lazy parrenting but more likley its jsut someone who dosent want to rush their child and wants ot let a baby be a baby as fa a late tlaking and late walking well all kids walk and talk early i know a very lazy parrent who had a child wak very early sometimes parrents who are lazy have kids who walk sooner because they wnate things os they learn to do it on their own rather than wait for a lazy parrent and as for late talking well if ts really late its the parrents job to investigate why (doctrs apointments earlyintervention screening something) but some kids jsut talk late i did the EI screening and doctors apointment thigns when my son wouldnt tak and well they siad he was fine and to jsu wait i did and now hes 3 and he wont shut up and hes above his age when it comes ot ammount of words and knowing what words mean
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 7:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2010