Anyone run a "green" home? What do you use in place of regular cleaning products?

I am trying to become more "green" what kind of things should I use to clean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Home & Garden

• This Is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:14 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Vinegar, water and baking soda. ....cleans about everything. I cleared my bath tub clog by using vinegar, baking soda and a plunger. I clean my whole kitchen with vinegar and water. I use baking soda to help scrub off the more difficult stuff (like the red ink that my son smeared all over my white kitchen floor). etc.

There are a couple green living groups here on CM. Check 'em out!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My all purpose cleaner is a spray bottle half filled with water half with white vinegar and then 20 drops tea tree oil and 10 drops lavander oil. I use baking soda mixed with water as a scrub. If you need any home recipes for laundry detergents or anything you should join the group Green organic natural simple living http://www.cafemom.com/group/18883. They are very supportive and the forums are filled with recipes.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 7:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Vinegar, water, lemon juice & baking soda are the biggies for an all-purpose type cleaner and I use borax for really heavy cleaning, like the bbq grill grate.
    Anonymous

• Everthing everyone else has posted, plus my steamer. I love my steamer b/c it sanitizes as it cleans, which in turn means I have to clean less often (think mold in the bathroom - it takes longer for it to come back after I've steamed the tile clean). I can also use my steamer on just about anything and it cuts down my cleaning time because there's no scrubbing to be done for most things.
    Anonymous