I need a good meatloaf (ground beef) recipie....

one that the top comes out nice and crunchy!!!!!

nickysmom71

Asked by nickysmom71 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I don't know how big of one you plan to make, but when I make it I crush up ritz crackers and mix with onions, green peppers, italian seasoning, and ketchup. I also coat the outter layer with ketchup and sugar mixed together....I think it is very good and crunchy(the more crunchy you want it use more crackers)
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• 1-2 lbs ground beef.
    Seasonings (your choice)
    1-2 Eggs (One egg per lb)
    1/3 cup Bread Crumbs (More if needed)
    BBQ Sauce (Optional)

Mix together in a bowl. Sprinkle bread crumbs ontop. The bread crumbs mixed in with the meat reduces the moisture and juice, which helps it brown up and crisp. The bread crumbs ontop help to make a crisp and crunchy topping.

Bake on 350 for 30-40 minutes.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:08 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• We use ground turkey but I'm sure you could use ground beef too. We mix 1/2 cup oatmeal with 1/2 cup milk and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then combine 1.5 lb ground turkey, oatmeal mixture, 1/2 cup tomatillo salsa (green salsa, you can get it from mild to hot), 1 pkg lipton vegetable soup mix (you can use onion soup mix too but we like the flavor of the vegetable), and 2 egg whites. Mix it well. Place in a 9x9 square casserole. Top with tomatillo salsa or ketchup. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to an hour til the center of the meatloaf reads 175 when measured with a thermometer. It's really good because the oatmeal makes it moist, dense. The salsa and soup mixes give great flavor, and the egg white holds it all together without adding fat. It's my family's favorite meatloaf recipe.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 7:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• 2lbs ground beef
    1/4 cup milk
    1/2 cup bread crumbs
    1/4 cup minced onion
    2 cloves garlic minced
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    bake uncovered in 9x13 pan at 350 until brown on top

This is how I make mine, I don't like bbq sauce or ketchup so it may seem plain to some....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 7:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I think I've accumulated at least 20 meatloaf recipes over the years, and everyone insists theirs is the best, so take it for what it's worth, but of all the ones we've tried, there's only one that we've fed to guests who "hate meatloaf" and ask for leftovers to take home with them:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/good-eats-meat-loaf-recipe/index.html

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:46 PM on Jan. 24, 2010