Anyone have experience with DD 'closing up'?

My LO has a fused labia....apparently this is common, especially with exclusively breastfed babies?? But no one talks about it so I am having a tough time knowing how common it really is? The dr. prescribed estrogen creme to reopen...but I don't want to put treat my baby with hormones if it isn't necessary. I've read it can just be left (kept clean etc of course) and will reopen naturally during puberty. Anyone else have experience with this??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh godness, please use the creme
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 7:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Oh my gosh I've never heard of this. Is it something you can notice on your own, or are the doctors supposed to look for that? I took my dd to her well baby appt. and her doc didn't check her there. That's really scary. I'm thinking if the doctor told you to use the cream, you should. Good luck.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Yes my dd had this..but she was WAYYYY past her breastfeeding stage...she was about 3. Her Dr said it is very common and not a huge issue.

She had some estrogen cream too, it irritated her a bit...so I tried to not over use it. After about 2 or 3 weeks she opened up.

If it is severe it can hinder the flow of urine.....my dd was potty trained, so for a while her pee shot strait forward even when she was sitting perfectly on the toilet....Dr said that was normal too.

It comes from lack of vaginal fluids...like us adult women have....so the cream gives a little bit of moisture down there to help it release.

My dds is open and fine now....I keep a check on it....sooooo, its not THAT big of a deal...just use the cream and she should be fine. ;) I was sort of freaked out by it too, for it to be soooo common, it was strange that I had never heard of it...
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 7:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My friends daughter had it and the cream took care of it. I bet it's more common than it seems, but people don't mention as often as they would other childhood medical issues. I would do a bunch of research before skipping the cream. I would think that if doesn't reopen naturally during puberty that would be pretty traumatic to deal with.

maxswolfsuit

Answer by maxswolfsuit at 7:29 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I don't have any experience with it, but I don't think I'd risk it. The dr told you to use the cream, I'd use the cream. I'd hate to take a chance where I wouldn't know the outcome until many yrs later, especially since by then, the treatment could be a lot more serious and potentially painful, not to mention any pain or discomfort she could experience between now and then.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• that breastfeed part is bullsh*t
    Anonymous

• I googled it, plenty of info on it out there. I saw no conection to breastfeeding
    Anonymous

• My dd's stupid doctor ripped her open right there in the office without benefit of cream or anything. Needless to say I switched doctors but hated what he did to her. That was just traumatic for her.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:40 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• My daughter is prone to getting this, it is very common in little girls.. It's due to the hormones not functioning properly * which they don't until they hit puberty*, But we use premerin (sp) cream whenever it happens.. and it always opens it back up!! Then after it is open I have been teaching her to put aquaphore or Vaseline on it 1-2 times a day just to make sure it doesn't seal again! Good luck! I hate when that happens =-(
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Oh yes, and if it is left untreated for a long period of time it can completely close everything so that the child can't urinate.. If that happens then you will have BIG problems!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2010