what to do if your child is choking?

I want step by step information,I know I have to do the hymileck manuver,not sure how to do it,help..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Health

• How old? Infant or child?
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Take a class. Explaining it here isn't going to be too much of a help. In a class you actually get practice.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 7:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Better yet, sign up for a CPR class. They will teach you CPR for babies, children, and adults, as well as the Heimlich maneuver for all of them. My qualification expired and I don't want to leave out a vital step, so I highly recommend signing up for a class ASAP. Good luck.

nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:31 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• http://www.ehow.com/how_14949_heimlich-maneuver.html

you can also brush up here, but it doesn't take the place of a certified trainer.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• sighn up for a cpr class
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I've taken cpr classes in the past I have done the hymleck manuver,I know you have to put your thumb in and make a fist on the lower end of the belly button and push up just want step by step info on that,that never changes..anyone else know?
    Anonymous

• It's different for babies. I suggest you take the class again.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:49 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Man, some of y'all need to learn to spell HEIMLECH. TAKE A CLASS is the best way to learn, you get hands-on training on it all, it varies depending on ages. Someone telling you here is NOT the way to learn! Most hospitals offer free classes on it, and a lot of them won't let you take your baby home til you've taken some classes or watched videos on certain things like that.
    Anonymous

• Please tell me your child is not choking right now. I was taught all of this before my son even left the hospital. I don't want to give you step by step directions in case I get it wrong, and your child ends up dying from incorrect advice.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Every parent should take first aid and CPR before their child is born. Didn't your doctor tell you this? Or your common sense?

You need to contact the Red Cross and take a class.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:30 PM on Jan. 23, 2010