If your child swallows a quarter and it gets lodged how do they remove it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Kids' Health

• good question,id like to know!
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:46 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• For starters, NEVER stick your finger down the child's throat, as it could push it down further. Bend the child over your lap and forcefully pat the child on the back with the palm of your hand. That should do the trick. Call 911 if it doesn't work after 3-5 pats.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 7:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• It depends how and where it is lodged. They will x-ray. They may leave it to pass and they may intervine surgically.
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• endoscope with a pinscher.child is sedated and they go fishing.I'm asuming you mean when its in the esophagus not trachea
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• OP here-My husband just took my son to the ER for this reason.I had to stay home with our sick baby.My son is speech delayed and was telling me quarter hurt.He was sticking his hand in his mouth and clutching at his chest and throat crying.

Anonymous

• When I got something lodged in my throat they tried for over five hours to retrieve it. They xrayed and they put a camera up my nose and down my throat to see where it was. They tried several ways to get it out then finally set up the Operating Room before the doctor tried one more thing. He stuck his finger down my throat and ended up dislodging it. Since a quarter is a lot larger than what got stuck in my throat I'm not sure. If they can't pull it back out they may have to do surgery. I'm not sure if a quarter will go through a small child's bowels.

Answer by admckenzie at 7:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• If they can't force it out, they will surgically remove it.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Please keep us informed. My daughter put a dime up her nose. (She was nine, she was trying to figure out how her brother did it when he was two. My sympathies.
    Whatkids

Answer by Whatkids at 1:12 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• It depends on where it's lodged... If it's been inhaled into one of the bronchi or the lungs, it will probably be a bronchoscopy (sedated, tube down the throat with a camera & forceps to retrieve it). If it's been swallowed, it will probably be surgery, especially if it's in the bowel. They will want to make sure the blood supply wasn't cut off & that no pieces of the intestines died as a result. If it's in the stomach, they MIGHT be able to stick a tube down his esophagus to retrieve it, but it depends on the doctor & hospital protocol.
    Good luck!
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 2:37 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• UPDATE-OP HERE-My husband got my son to the hospital and the quarter had thankfully made it to his stomach by the time they did the x-ray.The Dr. was surprised that a 4yr old was able to get a quarter down.A child usually can't swallow something like that until they are 11yrs old. He said it was probably my son mashing on his throat that dislodged it.It could take 2 days to a week for him to pass it.The Dr. sent home some gloves for me to go through his poop with.Yippee:-(throwing up

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Jan. 25, 2010