How to you get your Toddler to bed at night???

How do you get your Toddler to bed at night??
Our Toddler usually goes to Bed at 9:30pm every night. But, she hasn't been sleeping well. She either watches Dora or Elmo, or we read a book before Bed.

marcnsarah

Asked by marcnsarah at 8:07 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Lay him down, give him his blankie, cover him up, turn the light off, and close the door. 5 minutes later, he's out. Around 7:30pm.
    Anonymous

• routine is good. she might be going through a phase of wanting to fight sleep so she can stay up and play. put her to bed, don't let her dictate to you when bedtime is. my daughter has her milk and cookie while she watches wubbzy, then i brush her teeth, get her a clean diaper, tell her to grab her teddies and blanky then i take her to bed. her bedtime is 930 as well.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 8:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• We do p.j.'s, snack, brush teeth, read 3 books (already picked out earlier), one song and rock, and put in crib. He goes to bed between 7 and 7:30.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 8:11 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I just put her in her crib with her bear and monkey, shut off the light , tell her good night and I love her, and she puts herself to bed
    michellelee3708

Answer by michellelee3708 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• She use to put herself to sleep, but not anymore. I think its teething also. Shes very attached to her blankie & bunny, so she sleeps with it every night.
    marcnsarah

Answer by marcnsarah at 8:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• We were having issues with my dd who is almost 2. I read in a magazine by chance that at that age they tend to start to get tired around 5:30 - 6:30 at night, if they stay up much later their bodies make a hormone to give them more energy. She was going to bed around 9pm, so I figured I'd give 7pm a try and see if that helped, and so far it seems to really be making a difference. We also started a strict, set routine. She has some milk (we call it night-night milk), then a warm bath, then a lotion massage, we say prayers and I let her pick out a stuffed animal to sleep with. The whole time I repeatedly mention that we are getting ready for bed. Then I lay her down and walk out (with white noise in the background too). If after a few minutes she's whining I'll go back in and rub her back and maybe hum a song until she settles down then I leave her again. Sometimes I have to let her cry a little, but only for a few minutes.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 8:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• You are keeping her up too late. She should be in bed by 7. 8 the latest. I get my daughter's pajamas on, brush her teeth and give her some warm milk and her favorite dog. She usually falls asleep in my arms and I put her in her crib.
    Anonymous

• My son goes to bed at 7:45. At 7:30 I put Sesame Street or Thomas and Friends on and put him in his pajamas, brush his teeth, and then bring him up to his crib and put his blanket on him. He'll fall asleep within 5-20 minutes.
    Anonymous

• Bed time routine usually involves a bath, Pajamas, brushing teeth, going potty, reading a book in her room, tucking her in with a spill-proof water cup, saying a prayer, kissing her goodnight and closing the door behind me.

She's usually tucked in around 8 pm.

I agree with trying an earlier bed time...and I can relate that teething can definitely mess with her sleep habits...and it seems when the worst of the teething is over - the part that actually needs our attention at night...we have to let her whine a bit in her room before she figures out how to fall asleep by herself quickly again.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 11:12 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• With my dd, We eat dinner at 6pm, bath at 730, then watch tv until 830, then give her meds, her milk cup, and we tell her at 9pm its time for bed, we walk her in her, she climbs in her toddler bed, we cover her...kiss her goodnight...and close her door...She watches tv until she falls asleep.
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 24, 2010