Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child labor laws...please help..

My brother is 16 years old...he has been working 7 days a 10 hour days....right now he's at work and been there over 10 hours, they plan to keep him for 13 hours. He almost never gets a break while at work and where do I report this? They are completely breaking the child labor laws. He shouldn't be working more than 20 hrs a week....anyone know where I can report this. I live in Massachusetts. Thanks you

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:09 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (10)
  • i would call CPS and ask them...

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • school board might be able to help

    Answer by xtwilightx at 8:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • Dept of labor... Every state had one or should and they will take your complaint or direct you to the local office...

    Answer by midnightmoma at 8:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • Contact your state's department of labor

    Answer by rkoloms at 8:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • Look up on the website. EEOC is the Equal Employment Opportunity Center. The site has all work and labor laws, discrimination and how to file a complaint against an employer. You can find information listed by each state. This is the FEDERAL site which supercedes any state laws.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • Federal Wage and Hour Board. I'm sure they have a website. If not, try the

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

  • This is a violation of the labor law for adults also. Not getting breaks while working a 10 hour shift is illegal in any state. Contact the department of labor. Have your brother note all the days and hours he has worked more than 4 hours and not been given a break. If he hasn't been given a break they owe him an hour of straight time. I believe the back of a work permit application clearly lays out the hours a 16 year old is allowed to work. I am pretty sure that it is 4 hours on nights preceding a school day, and 8 hours on days that don't. Regardless, they need to pay him back pay for the missed breaks - for every break they fail to give him they are required to pay him an hour. I would also encourage your brother to seek out a labor law attorney - they can go over everything with him and let him know what his legal recourse is.

    Answer by badboobee at 1:03 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • The employer will have to pay a fine for not abiding by the Federal labor laws. It is illegal for him to work the hours he is working and not taking breaks. If he is clocked in more then 5 minutes past labor laws they will be fined. Does he have his time slips? He needs to keep them. There should be a poster up at his place of employment with the info he needs to contact, it is a law that this is to be up in a business.

    Answer by ronjwake at 4:23 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • This is the info I found:

    For questions about wages or child labor laws:
    Massachusetts Office of the Attorney General
    Fair Labor Division
    (617) 7273465

    16 & 17 Year Olds
    Work Hours Maximum Hours
    ALL year round: ALL year round:
    · Only between 6 am & 10 pm on nights 48 hours per week
    preceding a regularly scheduled school day 9 hours per day
    · If the establishment stops serving customers at 6 days per week
    10 pm, the minor may be employed until 10:15 pm
    · Only between 6 am & 11:30 pm on nights not
    preceding a regularly scheduled school day,
    except in restaurants and race tracks until midnight

    Answer by ronjwake at 4:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

  • As a mother I would have a talk with the boss.  I would also report this if no changes are made.  Your brother is young and is being taken advantage of. He needs to focus on his education.


    Answer by mommiedear at 7:05 PM on Jan. 24, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.