wool hat? ezecma

my 2 month old has awful ezecma i think? the doctor first said it was baby acne but now it is starting to look more like ezecma it is on her forehead and sides of her face and today we went to the mall so she had her wool hat on and this morning her face iddnt look so bad but tonight it looks awful i am thinking she might be allergic to her wool hat? anyone else having this problem i am using aveeno baby lotion on her face and i never use soap on her face. but its not getting better i am not going to use her hat anymore...any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:16 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have a vaporizer going 24/7.Excema is made worse by dry air.Yes,the baby could be allergic to wool.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:17 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• talk to your doctor there are meds out there to clear up excema
    Anonymous

• we just bought a vaporizer today so i am going to be using that now! thank you
    douellette

Answer by douellette at 8:19 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• my son's excema is controlled with a lotion with lanolin,but if she has a wool allergy,thats out.Look for one with a high petroleum base with no perfumes or dyes
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• has she always worn wool? it could have been the heat and moisture that made the acne or eczema worse. are you breastfeeding? you may want ot cut dairy from your diet, dairy is the #1 food intolerance/ allergen. it can very easily explain eczema in infants. if she is formula fed, you may want to look for an alternative...
    good luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 8:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• eczema is almost always caused by an allergy of some sort, could be food, environment, or materials. If she already had the eczema on her face, the wool hat couldn't cause it but it likely aggrevated it. The best thing we have found for treating my son's eczema was vaseline. Well first we figured out what was causing it, and then removed those foods from his diet, but if he has a flare we cover him with vaseline and it clears it right up.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 9:23 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I second the Vaseline recommendation. My daughter's skin was so sensitive that any lotions seemed to aggravate the eczema, even Aveeno and Cetaphil, the Vaseline has one ingredient, I think, so there isn't much there that can be an irritant. I also think a lot of her eczema was caused by foods I was eating while nursing, although I didn't realize it at the time. Eczema is also usually worse in winter because the air is so dry. This winter my daughter's skin is so much better but she is off dairy which I think helps, and of course she is a year older. A lot of kids outgrow the eczema. I wouldn't do the wool hat anymore, wool can irritate sensitive skin without eczema so the two together might be a bad combination for your daughter. Just try to keep Vaseline on her face as much as possible. I know there is at least one non-steroid cream, I think it is called Elidel, that could maybe be used for a really bad flare up on her face.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I just wanted to add that a few times we had to put prescription cream on my daughter's face for eczema and I waited until she was asleep so she couldn't wipe it and get it on her hand or get it in her mouth. Good luck- eczema is such a pain to figure out!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 9:53 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Thank you guys so much all the suggestions help!! she has always had sensitive skind baby acne and what not and she has always worn the wool hat but only for car rides here and there and her face would get worse but i never noticed it being that bad until now she is in daycare and they take the kids outside so she is wearing her hat a lot more and where her ezecma is really bad is where her hat is (her forehead and sides of her face) we are not putting the hat on her anymore in hopes that this will help! this time a year is awful for there poor skin.
    douellette

Answer by douellette at 8:34 AM on Jan. 24, 2010

• its not getting any better she has patches of very rough skin which looks almost yellow/oragnge...i am in the process of trying to make a doctor apt. i feel soooo bad for her. =(
    douellette

Answer by douellette at 9:17 AM on Jan. 24, 2010