When will it get better?

Has anyone had an almost perfect sleeper of a toddler/preschooler (mine's 2.5) turn into a sleep-time monster? I just read No Cry Sleep Solutions for Toddlers/Prescholers from cover to cover and I didn't learn much that I didn't already know -- we've always had a great, long, routine, she looks forward to it, but the moment it's time to turn the lights out she's a different person than she has ever been before. "I don't WANT to sleep, I don't want to be alone, I can't sleep, I HATE IT (don't know where she got that)"... she's up 3-4 times a night screaming her head off. My husband and I only have a couple of hours a day to see each other -- just after the girls go to bed until we go to bed... I just can't sleep with her; our sleeping style doesn't allow for her to be in bed for us... we've tried tackling her fears, sitting in her doorway... right now my husband is doing that and she's grunting as loud as she can... help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:35 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Wow could something have happened to her that you don't know about? What is she so afraid of?
    Anonymous

• OP: I don't think anything happened to her... from what I've read it's normal to suddenly be afraid of the dark, of monsters in her room, have a new kind of separation anxiety... Has anyone experienced this or does it seem worrisome (beyond the obvious stress and anxiety and sadness it elicits in us seeing her go through this and not knowing exactly how to help her) like it does to anon?
    Anonymous

• my son goes through spurts like this, he will sleep ok for a while, and then we have weeks of theese episodes and I am a zombie at work becaue he has me up at all hours.
    Talk to your doc
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• my son was scared of the "dragon" where he got that is beyond me. didn't stop anything though, i just kinda sat with him for 5 minutes then told him mommy had stuff to do, and just left the door cracked. did that for a couple days then just stopped sitting with him, and just left the door cracked. we had a nightlight, but he kept getting up and taking it in and out of the socket, so cracking the door it was. oh yeah he's also allowed to go to bed with 1 toy, that helps out.
    Anonymous