Am I The Only One?

I feel like I'm fighting a loosing battle with my 17 months old.. He won't listen at all I spend all day fighting the same battles over and over.. I'm ready to pull my hair out.. I just need to know I'm not the only one dealing with this and if I am then please tell me helpful ways to fix it.. I'm a stay at home mom so I dont get a lot of breaks(which I'm ok with) I just need help I dont want my child to not respect me and what I say later on in life because of this

TristansMommy16

Asked by TristansMommy16 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine is that way as well I just say the same thing all day and redirect, they are still young enough that listening isn't a top skill yet just keep on keeping on.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 8:39 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• time out time out time out. or tell him no, and if he starts throwing a fit, ignore it. (that will tell him you mean business) my dds only 13 months so shes not in that stage yet, but i watch my sisters daughter often, and shes stopped thinking she can walk all over me, sure she doesnt like me all that much, but when she starts screaming and ripping toys out of my daughters hands and trying to kick her i put her in a corner for time out, (which doesnt start until shes quiet) and shes getting it now, and shes stopped doing those things for the most part. persistence is best. you (meaning you in general not you personally) cant say no once then let him do it then say no again after you already let him do it. (and im no expert this is just my opinion) oh my sisters daughter is 2 1/2.
    LA09TKP

Answer by LA09TKP at 8:43 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• 17 month olds have selective listening, i swear they do. my dd is 17 months and she listens to me, although, sometimes when i'll tell her not to do something, she'll look at me and do it anyway with the look "whatcha gonna do about it?" other times she'll look at me and decide it's better to listen. we've started taps on the butt, which is around the same time we started with my son. seems to work for us
    Anonymous

• lol, 2 1/2 and 17 months are two totally different things. trust me, i have both that exact same age right now.
    Anonymous

• I dont like spanking but it's my last resort (always on the diaper never skin) and that doesnt seem to phase him..I've never understood how to do timeout with a 17 months old but I would try it whats the best way to do it?
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i do time outs with her too, at the time she didn't know how to get off of the couch/chair, (she's a late bloomer, just started cruising a few weeks ago) i would put her in her brother's lil' recliner so she couldn't get down...but then she figured it out lol. do you have a pack n play? unless you use it alot, you can use that for time outs.
    Anonymous

• We do but right now thats his bed because we are waiting on our house to be finished remoded so his cribs in storage and he's sleeping in the pack n play. He can get off of couches and chairs thats my biggest problem is he climbs like a monkey
    TristansMommy16

Answer by TristansMommy16 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I know your pain. My son was a very high strung child. Actually, he still is but at 4.5 its much much easier. It just takes time and consistancy. There is no real magic. Just be very concious of any rewards he may be getting for his wayward behavior. Is he getting that cookie? Or is he getting all mommy's love and attention for a couple minutes? Or anything that could incourage the behavior. As for giving a small child a timeout- what worked best for me was putting a pack and play up in living room. If my son threw a tantrum or did something that deserved a timeout I'd put him in there and walk away. Easier children can handle sitting on a stair (both he and my 2yo do that now) but some children just don't have the restraint to stay put. When my DS started bailing out of the p&p, I just kept putting him in there and walking away. Also, he was never allowed to be done with timeout until he was in control of himself
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:05 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I am at the tail end of this (and the beginning of a whole new world of battles). For me, the "terrible twos" began at around 19 months. I would get down to my son's face (eye level) and calmly explain to him what action he was doing that was inappropriate and what the consequences would be if he did not adjust his behavior. I know a lot of women gave me strange looks when I was trying to "reason" with my toddler- but now, at 26 months he listens to me very well.
    Also, I had to accept the fact that sometimes I just wouldn't get MY way. There were times when I desparately wanted to go the grocery store, only to have to realize that he was in no mood to go out. Everyone has days when they just want to lounge around, even little kids. Taking the time to reevaluate my wants vs. his needs saved us a lot of needless battles.
    Also, I cried probably once a week. It is hard to deal with a kid when it seems like they dominate
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:27 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• cont.
    you all day long. Take it easy and try not to get down on yourself. Remain calm and step away from your child for a few minutes if thats what it takes. Also, refrigerator and dishwasher locks will save your life. They sell them at Target $8 for a pack of two. Just buy them if you haven't already. Trust me.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 10:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2010