"Christian" Business Opportunity

Most of you know I work from home and I work with a number of other moms as well, from all kinds of businesses. Lately I have heard a number of newer companies selling there business opportunities as "Christian" Businesses or Christian Companies.

I had a woman write me on here about joining her company and she made a point to say that they were a "Christian" company 6 times in her message. Now, I am not looking for a new business, I have one already and love it. But I am always looking in to new options for others I chat with that may not be right for my team.

When I went to message her back I saw that she had removed me from her friends list (hours after accepting). I asked a few questions about her business and team and when she answered she told me that although she likes the fact that I am willing to ask for more information I am not the type of person her business was made for.

More below...

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I told her in my message that I wasn't interested but that I was wanting more information for some of the other women I work with. She wrote back and said that she was not permitted to give me information because I am not what the company is looking for. And that my involvement would lead to a bad reputation for her company.

I am FLOORED by this! I mean, this is a home business company. I am a home business owner that helps others find the right business, why would they not allow me to have the information? Just because I'm not Christian (which was her reason, although she said it nicely). That's just bad business!

Here is my question... For those of you that do have home businesses or even have ever bought from one (Avon, Passion Parties, Tupperware, etc.) Does the religious affiliations of the person or company ever come in to mind? Does it make you want or not want to buy? Am I the only one that thinks this is crazy?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:48 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Actually, I am LESS inclined to purchase or be involved/associate with anything bearing the "Christian" label... also REFUSE to go to chick-fil-a (because they are closed on sunday).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:52 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• ObbyDobbie- DON"T move to Utah- tons of stuff is closed on Sunday...it's very wierd

I don't really ever wonder or worry about if a business is religious based or not- if they provide me with something I need or want I'll buy it I guess
    I think it's rediculous that she wouldn't give you information to possibly share with other people
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I have to say, that's not something I've ever really thought about when purchasing products like that and I am Christian. So I guess it wouldn't make much difference to me. If I wanted something specifically related to my religion I would obviously seek that out on websites for whatever I'm looking for, but for things like you mention here, not a factor.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 9:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I didn't know Chick-fil-a closed on Sunday? Ours doesn't... Hmmm... That's weird! Anyways, yeah, lots of stuff closes on Sunday here or just closes really early on Sunday... I hate that!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Our Chick Fil A closes on Sunday =) Cook Out is also a Christian company, as is the company that makes the eggs we get from Aldi. They have Bible verses written on the products. No big deal. At least they don't make a huge deal out of being Christian, like writing "WE'RE A CHRISTIAN COMPANYYYYYY!!!!!! PRAISE JESUSSSSS!" all over their stuff.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:33 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• saying christian only gives the other person the IDEA the other is honest.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• if she knew you weren't xtian, and the business is xtian -based, maybe that's why she changed her mind about you not being involved. IDK, she thought you couldn't represent their product properly, since you weren't a believer? it may seem intolerant, but its not really that crazy. i could read all the books i could find about witchcraft/sorcery/etc, but if i didn't truly believe in it, what kind of representation could i give products/businesses that involved such? it'd be half-hearted, at best.
    i'd say she just realized after-the-fact that you wouldn't be a good candidate for their product, and be happy to know this now, rather than after you delved deeper into it. i don't think this has anything to do with xtian-labeled businesses. as my salon owner always says, ''its nothing personal; its just business.''
    :)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:13 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Okay, but the company sells Energy Drinks... It's not a religiously based product! I would understand if they sold Christian Materials, but they don't, they sell energy drinks!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• LOL---well, maybe they are pentecostal energy drinks! (sorry...they are a little more spirited than other denoms. lol)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2010