What to do when another person's child is misbehaving?

I was at my sister's housewarming party tonight. She and her fiance just bought a house and have spent the last few months fixing it up and buying new furniture for it. They had the housewarming open house to celebrate the end of Phase 1 of fixing up. One of their co-workers brought their son to the party. While the mom was on the phone and the dad was socializing, the kid was jumping all over their new furniture- couch and coffee table, getting food everywhere, spilled two drinks, going through their closets and acting poorly all around (almost hurting younger children with his wild behavior). The dad gave a half hearted "don't jump on the furniture" at one point, but the kid continued and nothing was done. My sister was a wreck- afraid that he would damage something but also afraid he'd hurt himself. What would you have done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in General Parenting

• good lord
    idk what i would have done, but how rude!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• took him by the arm and taken him to his parent and tell them that he was getting a little wild
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I would have gotten his attention and siad something like "sweety, we don't play and jump on the furniture and we eat and drink in the kitchen" and point him in the right direction...or maybe ask him "where's your mom? can you find ehr?"
    something to distract him from doing what he was doing
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:04 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• you mean if i were the host? well, knowing kids were coming, i'da made a spot for the kids, with little activities, a movie or something. and did a mini-kid proof around the house. how people don't think about kids running around is beyond me. even i thought about it before i had kids.

BUT- since she didn't do that, SEEING that happening i would have tried to get him occupied with a little kid game or at least a movie. If there were other parents there that had their kids there, it wouldn't hurt to ask another parent if they had an age appropriate toy or maybe even a movie in the car, since these days everyone has a dvd player in the car.
    Anonymous

• People who don't watch their kids carefully get on my nerves, especially at other people's houses. If it were my house I would have pulled the child aside and explained to him that his behavior wasn't acceptable. Many times when children won't listen to their parents they will listen to other adults. If his parents didn't appreciate someone else telling their child what to do they could always leave. It's rude to let your kids run wild and it puts the owner of the house in an uncomfortable position because they don't want to discipline someone elses child but they don't want their house wrecked at the same time.
    Court128

Answer by Court128 at 9:15 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I am not afraid to talk to other people's children about behavior issues (part of having been a home daycare provider). I would have told the kid that the furniture is for sitting on so he needs to "sit down or get down" as well as other behavior reminders when I saw other things. Usually, having a non-parent adult reprimand a kid will embarrass them enough to make a difference. If not, and the parents haven't intervienned (seeing another adule reprimand your child is so embarassing), I'd take the child (preferably by the hand) to the parents and tell them (with a sweet and totally undersanding manner to avoid confrontation and embarrassment) that "Jonny seems to be really over stimulated at the moment and could use a couple quiet minutes. I would hate to see him or some of the host and hostesses hard work to get hurt." Generally you get to follow up with a "Don't worry- it happens... yada yada yada ya"
    IrishMommaC

Answer by IrishMommaC at 9:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• I agree with IrishMommaC's answer!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:47 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• i tell them myself, for their and other's safety and my nerves! if they are nasty little kids i will tell their parents to get them bc they don't me to! i would never let my kid act like that, except at grandma's house bc she lets him so now i MAKE her deal with him.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• if i were your sister i would have told the parents of that child to either do something about their son or please leave. That was her new house and they knew that but still let him treat her stuff like that. It’s unacceptable and needs to be dealt with by the parents and the parents alone. I don’t believe I should have to teach someone else’s kid to act right in someone else's house, I think the parents should have to deal with the monster they created and never taught any manners to. Maybe the social embarrassment will encourage them to teach him to respect other people’s stuff or discourage them from bringing him back to her house, at bare minimum.
    ReiReally

Answer by ReiReally at 10:40 PM on Jan. 24, 2010