A woman wrote a book about my Grandmother. Should I believe it?

There is a woman I don't know her very well and she wrote a book about my Grandmother and her Grandmother when they were teenagers. Supposedly her Grandmother told the story to her mother and her mother told the story to her. She wrote about it when she grew up. Basically our two grandmothers fought over a guy and her grandmother won him out. She basically makes my grandmother look like a harlet! I've never been told this story before, but supposedly it has eye witness accounts and quotes! My grandmother died 3 years ago. Should I believe this story?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Relationships

• Without knowing your grandmother and this other woman's grandmother, hard to say if you should believe it or not. If she got the story from her mother, then how are there eye witness accounts and quotes? That would make me a bit suspicious, but like I said, without knowing the two women that it's about, it's hard to say.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:22 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Did she use her name? I didn't think you could use anyone's name unless they have been dead for longer than 10 years or they get permission from the family. No, you shouldn't believe it there is always 2 sides to a story.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:21 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• What's the name of the book? I think if I were you I would do some research on it. If one really exists then you should be able to find it..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:24 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• If it's fiction she had to change the name of your grandmother so she wouldn't get sued. If it's non-fiction then she better have her facts straight. I know stories like that about my grandmother would be false but if they were about my mother she would have just laughed. My mom used to say "I don't care what people say about me as long as they talk about me and remember me!" If she's harming your grandmother's reputation then talk with a lawyer. I do genealogy and read stories like this a lot. I like them bc they bring character to ancestors. I read one like this not long ago and one of the women was murdered on her way home from the store. They couldn't prove the other women shot her but there was lots of gossip for years. Funny how the woman waited until your grandmother died before writing it, huh? Was the whole book about this one story or was there more to the woman's life? I'd like to read it

Answer by admckenzie at 10:01 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Did anyone in your family give her permission to write about your grandmother? If not, I think you can prevent her from selling the book. I would contact a lawyer! Does anyone in your family (an old aunt or cousin) remember this situation? There is a possibility it's untrue. My grandmother was a real character, I would hate for someone to write a book about her.lol
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 24, 2010