anyone a parent to a teen mom?

i am 16 and i just found out im pregnant but i have only a dad and no mom. how can i tell him without him flipping out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Jan. 23, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Be calm and make sure he's sitting down, preferably not eating. That's not a joke. All I had to hear was "Mom I have to tell you something" and the rest I figured out. Don't get upset if he freaks out. He'll calm down. Just make sure you remain calm and logical. By that I mean, ask him things like how do we find a doctor, dad? Men think logically. Give him something that he can identify with like finding a doctor and not focus on silly things like "how did this happen?" (you would be surprised how many parents blurt that out! lol It will be fine. Keep it logical, practical and not emotional.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:34 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• does he know or have suspicions you're sexually active? i was freaking out when i got pregnant at 20 lol...i didn't want to tell my dad ( i wasn't married yet and he frowns on that) he took it better than i thought, actually happy that he was gonna be a grandpa. i just kinda flat out told him. or you can watch the pregnancy pact that's on lifetime right now and kinda gradually bring it up...
    Anonymous

• im not but i am 19 and i also think im preggo. took a test today its negative. but im stilling late for period. none yet. what were your symptoms? and msg me. i can give u some advice if you would like. :)
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 9:37 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• haha thats funny. im watching lifetime right now, just saw that preview.ill keep that in mind.lol. no. i dont think he knows i have sex.
    Anonymous

• I was 19 when I found out I was pregnant and telling my parents wasn't easy at all. I wasn't married and in the middle of college. I know it's tough, but you just have to tell him. He will not be as mad as you think. Parents usually get over the initial shock after the first day or so and then they are just excited to be grandparents.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 9:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• He will flip out; you will understand better if you become a parent.
    I hope that before you and your boyfriend became sexually involved, you decided how to handle an unplanned pregnancy
    Good luck to all of you.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• He's your dad, he's going to flip out. BUT...as I have learned since I became a parent, there is nothing a child can do to make a parent stop loving them. Sure, he's not going to LIKE what is going on, but it doesn't mean he's going to stop loving you. There are exceptions like abusive or unstable parents but you don't seem scared of him....

Good luck hun. Be smart about this and do the right thing :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:42 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• lol that was my father in law's reaction : "how the hell did that happen?"
    Anonymous

• Now I'm going to worry about you. No young lady should go through this alone. I was very angry with my dd but I told her I'd never make her go through it alone. My dd had to go to a school just for pregnant teens. Maybe your area has that as well so you can stay in school and get the moral support you need plus parenting skill classes. They also help you find things like cribs and other things for the baby without cost. You can do this. It won't be easy but you can do it. My dd was younger than you and she did a great job.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:44 PM on Jan. 23, 2010

• Anonymous